New to model flying but not new to RC

Supersavage

Hi all I'm new to model flying but not new to RC. I have been into and racing RC cars for years but part of me has always been fascinated by model planes and its only recently I thought I'd give it a go. I did go to a local club which was extremely friendly and they let me have a little go at flying a glider, since then I have bought my self a plane and a transmitter. The plane I went for is a Hobbyzone Carbon Cub S + BNF and I went for DX8e transmitter. Unfortunately with the weather we've been having it looks like I've missed the flying season so it's going to be a while before I get the chance to fly but in the meantime I intend on doing a lot research on all things model plane related.

Advert

As Martin says, there are often good flying days over winter, they are fewer and shorter but there all the same.

As you've been racing RC cars I guess you'll have fewer problems than most newcomers with orientation when the model is flying towards you but still take it slowly. You don't want to spoil your new model

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a feeling that my attempt to get into flying may have ended before even getting a chance to fly due to this drone law thingy which is doubly annoying considering I've just got my self a full setup (plane, transmitter and some batteries). For the time being I think I might have to just wait and see what happens but I think this may have been a pointless endeavour

Don't despair Supersavage all is well.

Are you in a club yet? If so, i highly recommend you join one in coming weeks. In terms of what you'll have to do, it very little in reality.

Pay £9 to register with the CAA. That can be done at the same time you join the BMFA or you can do it directly with the CAA.

On the assumption you haven't got a BMFA achievement certificate you'll have to complete an online multiple choice quiz, either with the CAA or the BMFA. This will be in the form of an infographic type video that tells you the rules and then you answer the questions at the end of each section. It'll be very similar to the quiz at the link below.

The final thing you'll need to do is put you registration number, issued to you when you register in or on your model.

That is all, nothing more.

**LINK**

Hi Chris (are you Chris from Nuneaton if so it's Marc Harrison ) unfortunately it's not the registration that concerns me or that's putting me off weirdly, it's more the fact that I have to take a test or quiz to be able to enjoy a hobby. I'll keep an eye on what's going on and if it ever stops raining hopefully we can meet up again and you can help point me in the right direction because its quite difficult at the moment to keep up with what's going on yes

Hi Marc, yep its me.

Nothing more to say in terms of having to keep up with stuff. Its as I set out above. The quiz/test is currently good for every 3 years and the £9 is every year. If you do the NATS quiz, its a 10 minute job and that't it.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, once the weather improves, we'll meet up. I'll be at Gaydon this Sunday for the Large Model Event.

yes

Posted by Supersavage on 25/10/2019 21:02:32:

Hi Chris (are you Chris from Nuneaton if so it's Marc Harrison ) unfortunately it's not the registration that concerns me or that's putting me off weirdly, it's more the fact that I have to take a test or quiz to be able to enjoy a hobby. I'll keep an eye on what's going on and if it ever stops raining hopefully we can meet up again and you can help point me in the right direction because its quite difficult at the moment to keep up with what's going on yes

Really no need to worry about the online quiz, 20 multi guess questions you only need to get 16 right to pass and you get given the answers to any you dont get right at the end so you can go back and get them right. Its misnamed calling it a test, it just ensures you are aware of some of the regs thats all.

Best advice I can give is find your local club and join them and the BMFA then enjoy our wonderful sport.

The new regs are nothing to worry about, the smallest of hurdles to participation.

Posted by Jason-I on 25/10/2019 23:55:05:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/10/2019 23:05:01:

The new regs are nothing to worry about, the smallest of hurdles to participation.

Somewhat concerning that the new regs have not even come into force yet, but are already putting people off the hobby. sad

To be honest I dont think its the new regs putting people off our sport. All the unnecessary negativity and doom mongers are though. The new regs are no big deal.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 26/10/2019 05:50:18

Dead right Andy - we're not all doomed - as presented the reg's might be a minor irritation and a marginal additional expense ( cheaper than a standard servo or entry to a show ) and neither of the clubs I fly with will have to change the where or the how we fly. Oh, and well done BMFA - just keep an eye on the blighters ( politicians and uncivil servants ) in case they try to sneak a nasty into the mix just when a meeting is breaking up ( it happens ).

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 26/10/2019 05:49:32:

To be honest I dont think its the new regs putting people off our sport. All the unnecessary negativity and doom mongers are though. The new regs are no big deal.

When do we expect to find out under what terms 'Privately Built' models of 250 grams and above will be flown from July 2020?

The CAA and DfT will be working with the BMFA and other associations to settle that. It is highly likely we will be able to carry on pretty much as we do now.

What everyone now needs to do is start encouraging new nlood along to your clubs. Get them involved, lets get on with showing our sport in a positive light and get people involved.

Andy, we know you are working on it.

Personally, I am not going to spend time, money, and effort on planes I may not be able to fly at my local sites. That is not doom mongering, it's a pragmatic choice to switch my attention to sub 250g models until the new legal framework is established.

I will still present a positive outlook to the general public, who roam across all my flying fields.

I've decided to give up on trying to get into the flying thing as I find this whole drone law thing ridiculous especially since I was only ever going to fly at a club. So does anyone have any ideas on how much a brand new DX8E and hobby zone carbon cub s+ (hasn't even been powered up) with 2 e-flite 3cell 2200mah batteries would be worth?

Whether you intend only flying at a club or not you really do need to know where you can legally fly, you may be taking off from club controlled grounds but once off that ground you are in open airspace. The test really will be a very basic test of what you are allowed to do and where you cannot do it, pretty much what any half decent club will expect you to know anyway. Honestly, don't give up/sell up before you at least get a chance to see what the test involves!

Posted by Supersavage on 01/11/2019 17:18:32:

I've decided to give up on trying to get into the flying thing as I find this whole drone law thing ridiculous especially since I was only ever going to fly at a club. So does anyone have any ideas on how much a brand new DX8E and hobby zone carbon cub s+ (hasn't even been powered up) with 2 e-flite 3cell 2200mah batteries would be worth?

Please don't be hasty, I promise you the test is really nothing to worry about 5 minutes of your time thats about it, the BMFA online test will be going live very soon.

I agree with Andy here, the online test can be taken with all the answers at your side really, which seems a farce, and the £9 is a very small price to pay extra. If you really want to learn to fly , and enjoy this wonderful hobby give it a go, I am sure you will be hooked. If you want to learn to drive a car, you have to pass a theory and a driving test, when you pass you will be overjoyed, but you still had to pay good money to achieve this result. Our hobby is so enjoyable, I can see why Andy is asking you to percevere. Cheers and good luck.