A really daft question

Keat

Which way should the engine rotate, when viewed from the front ?

I've just been watching a Utube video, and it looks like the one on the video goes clockwise.

I'm just wondering, if the wires are crossed on my starter, as the starter makes the engine run anticlockwise.

If I swap the wires around the engine will still run.. so it will run in either direction.. which is the correct way ?

Advert

I've been down to the local club twice.. but only really get a chance on Saturdays.

I bought the irvine 40 tutor last weekend, so missed the club meeting.

I have been charging the batteries, getting to grips with the transmitter, having a feel for starting her up in the garage, and generally getting excited about taking it down to the club this coming Saturday.

I joined this forum, to ask the questions, I would only get a chance to ask on a Saturday.. thus saving me lots of valuable, learning to fly time...if that makes sense. ??

Thanks for the info..

I'll have another daft question tomorrow ....... no doubt

I am not too sure of the wisdom of running a glow IC motor in a space like a garage.

Best to be outside where if the prop breaks, you are less likely to be hit by the ricoche of part of the prop or from falling paint from tins on shelves. I don't think the fumes would do you much good either even if they do smell good!

Hi keaton,

Yes the engine should run anti-clockwise when viewed from the front. Videos often make rotating objects appear if going round the wrong way or the wrong speed. I have an old BMFA nationals video with a helicopter flying, which has the rotor apparently totally static. Really weird. It is caused by the frame rate being a different speed to the object rotating. Like a strobe effect.

However, a glow motor can run in reverse. I have had this happen to me when starting by hand. It is not always obvious this has happened, apart from there is a distinct lack of power and the throttle doesn't repond too well. Mind you, if you tried to take off in that state, it would become very obvious, very quickly.

BTW, doppler effect is the action of sound getting louder and quieter as the noise source passes by, I believe.

shades.

Your eye sees about 21 frames a second, so if a propeller turns 20 full rotations in a second, it will seem to be going backward. TV though is differnet. If your TV were to run at 21 frames a second, it would seem to flicker, so her in the UK we have it about 28 fps, which is called PAL. The people across the pond have it about 35fps, which is called NCS of something, hence why we cant use their DVDs.Because of this a tv can make the picture look defferent to the naked eyes veiw.

This is probably all incorect!

birdy

I think the doppler effect is more to do with the effect of a wave of any sort either bouncing of or emenating from a moving object its used to good effect in "doppler radar" to detrmine I belive the target speed without the need for two radars I believe your basically right eric think its the fact that as say a train approches the pattern of sound gets faster because the source has got closer since that particular part of the sound was last emenated making the pattern seem to get quicker I think  

Yep, he's definately bouncing off compression

Dopler:

The Doppler effect (or Doppler shift), named after Christian Doppler, is the change in frequency and wavelength of a wave for an observer moving relative to the source of the waves. It is commonly heard when a vehicle sounding a siren approaches, passes and recedes from an observer. The received frequency is higher than the emitted frequency when the siren approaches, is equal to the emitted frequency as it passes the observer and is lower than the emitted frequency as it recedes from the observer.

For waves that propagate in a medium, such as sound waves, the velocity of the observer and of the source are relative to the medium in which the waves are transmitted. The total Doppler effect may therefore result from motion of the source, motion of the observer, or motion of the medium. Each of these effects is analyzed separately. For waves which do not require a medium, such as light or gravity in special relativity, only the relative difference in velocity between the observer and the source needs to be considered.

from Wikipedia (so treat with caution)

hence we hear "neeeeowwww" on low fast passes 

I visual phenominon I was refering to is as Birdy states,. Interesting to note that the eye sees all, it's just the brain that can only process about 20-25 frames per second. I think flies can process the data much quicker so compared to humans, see in slow motion.