Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40

Hi, i have picked up a couple of kits to keep me busy in the winter & they don't come with servos, but they also don't say which servos to use. Both these planes are very similar & i am assuming the same servo all round will be fine. But what servo is recommended.?? as i am not sure on things like speed of servos & pulling weight. Any recommendations for reliable ones.
Has anyone found the Banggood makes any good.??Thanks
Oh, the planes are trainers which are, a Boomerang & a Nova 40

I'll go along with Nigel and Ash's advice.

Any "standard" size servos from a reputable manufacturer will suit these models. I nearly always use Hitec 311s but my club uses Futaba S3001s in its trainers and has never had a problem with Futaba equipment. Futaba are the Volkwagen of radio controlled equipment!

Having said that I have been using Corona micro servos from Hobby King in a Baron, so far with great success. Perhaps their standard size equivalent may prove suitable for your models. **LINK**

I do a fair bit of instructing and have flown both of these trainers.The Boomerang is my favourite ARTF trainer, its semi symmetrical wing section allows it to fly well in a breeze once the trainee has acquired a little experience and confidence.

Thanks guys, going with the Futaba's on one model as i have a spare one& going to try some Banggood servos  / racestar on the other for an experiment that seem to have a similar spec, but a lot less money. At worst, it fails, but worth a trial.

Thanks for the info.

Edited By Christopher Morris 2 on 06/11/2019 08:06:31

Posted by Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:49:42:

"Futaba are the Volkwagen of radio controlled equipment!"

Expensive and unreliable? devil

PS does that make Hitec the Honda of RC?

Edited By Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:51:18

I have a 21 year-old VW LT28. It has covered nearly 400,000 kilometres. It was not expensive to buy and apart from a broken starter motor has proved to be eminently reliable.cheeky

van with little friend (small).jpg

MG995 used to be branded as TowerPro and had a poor reputation. They were replaced by the MG996R which is a good solid high torque digital servo. Both the 995 and 996 will be noticably heavier (70gm against 40!) than the standard servos from Hitech or Futaba and with about 3 times the power they are way over the top for what you want. With that power comes a higher current draw too. I'd stick with Futaba or Hitech 3kgm servos, or if you really want to save £3 a servo then I'd recommend Towerpro/Hobbyking 5010s as I've found these good for medium size sports models.

Any decent standard servo from a reputable supplier will be fine for a trainer. Be careful to avoid of any cheap rip off servos on the internet . Loads of Futaba copies that are DANGEROUS to use . even Tower-Pro are being copied and these copies are NOT fit for purpose. The price is the give away if the price is looks too good to be true it generally is . Ask around at your club ,. Most club members have a box of used servos and will probabl;y let you have a set a a good price .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/11/2019 11:02:45

Its like many manufactures that build a name & stick the prices up because of a seemed reputation. Even though Rolls Royce & Jaguar build great cars, the rolls is certainly not worth triple price of a Jag. At the end of the day, you just want reliability & to save a little money. I am new to RC & learning every day. I picked up a DX8e for £65 & hope its all ok. But Spectrum is another one with ridicules prices, & i bet i wished i had gone with the far cheaper copy, Orange. "We will see"
On the car side of things i purchased a new Dacia Logan & had just over 4 years faultless driving in an estate car with a 899cc engine. It was out of a Clio with a turbo fitted & was great. Even some of the parts had a Renault stamp on them. It also got away with the small engine as it was nearly half the weight of many other estates.

bangood stuff takes a fair while to come from China [ up to a month] have used Corona servo`s in a few models without problems, if you do use Hobbyking make sure you check box E U and WORLDWIDE and use UK wharehouse as postage can be more than product, engine doctor is right, any reputable make will be ok in trainer its just making sure they are genuine and not rubbish coppies.

Posted by philip pember on 13/11/2019 22:50:38:

bangood stuff takes a fair while to come from China [ up to a month] have used Corona servo`s in a few models without problems, if you do use Hobbyking make sure you check box E U and WORLDWIDE and use UK wharehouse as postage can be more than product, engine doctor is right, any reputable make will be ok in trainer its just making sure they are genuine and not rubbish coppies.

Your quite right on the P&P with HK in that it can be a real pain when ordering multiple item & they end up multiple P&P from UK/Asia/EU. I have cancelled a few order because of this. I have also had it with HK where they advertise some items for a sale price of 10p & then want £15/£20 P&P from asia.
Must admit, i cant work out how ebay far east sellers sell items for 99p inc P&P?? I have had no problems.

Developing Countries are subsidised Christopher

This Quote from ebay seller

This is because RM are nor allowed to Charge China Post for the full delivery costs under a United Nations agreement. This is because China is classified as a "Developing Nation". And the Western countries have been pulled in into subsiding the deliverey costs of exports from developing countries to help them develope. This is madness prevails such that the cost of delivery by airmail from China is less than 20% of our cost of sending a small parcel within the UK.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/11/2019 08:00:13