ESM Tigercat - powered by Laser engines

Ron Gray

well then...

First off, you handled the engine out well. Given the lack of stick time on it i think it was wise to straighten it up and put it down where you did given the space was available. I would probably have tried to fly myself out of it on the other engine given how many twins i have flown but i cant fault your choice here. It wasnt worth the risk of throwing it on to final at such a tight angle with the right engine dead. On the bright side it seems quite well behaved with one engine and the rudder is clearly very powerful.

For the engine to stop like that is really unusual. Our twins will run on one cylinder so an instant flame out on both sides is really strange, especially as they have their own tanks and cooling was not a factor. There was no steep climb going on so a lean cut in the normal sense is ruled out. I suspect it was fuel starvation of some sort but im not exactly sure what to suggest as its such a rare occurrence.

Advert

Just as Jon said, fuel starvation, due to a lack of fuel! When I got home I drained the tanks and there was nothing to drain from the right hand tanks. This was strange as I had filled them up at the same time as the left ones, so I think that, for some reason, they did not fill right up. The only explanation I can think of is that I filled through one vent until the fuel spilled from the other whereas I normally fill through the fill with one vent blocked, wait for the spill from the other vent then block that one off and continue to fill until the other vent spills. I know it shouldn’t make any difference but that’s the only explanation I have. At least I have found the cause of the problem and can confidently take the big cat out again.

The other thing that didn’t help was that I was held up, with the engines running,before going to the flight line. I thought that it was only for a couple of minutes or so, but having just looked at the telemetry it was in excess of 8. Even on tickover fuel was obviously being consumed. Note to self, if held, top up immediately before going to flight line.

Yea even a laser will dead stick without any go go juice in the tank.

Last week i took my 80 powered hurricane out. Had a flight, no worries, chatted away for a bit while i got the model ready for another flight. Fired up, then as you say i was delayed getting in the air as one of the chaps was having some control problems and needed to get down. He got it down after a few minutes wrestling it, and as i went to taxi onto the runway it stopped...

Guess who forgot to fuel it up embarrassed

Distractions during pre flight or changes to routines can be really dangerous. I think you were pretty lucky!

Ron, Good result following the engine out, well done and ease the bike clips off slowly.wink

Just looking at the video on the phone, was there a big pitch change for some reason?

Its a bit of effort, but I always fill mine with the hand fuel pump and count to fill and refill, handy to know how many revs for each coupled with flight times. IMHO can't see the benefits of electric fuel pumps, but each to their own.

@Chris - the big pitch change you can see in the vid is when the engine cut. I was in a banked turn, to the right, so the left wing was higher than the right and as the right engine cut the left one pushed the nose down. I corrected that with big left rudder which then pulled the nose up and the subsequent roller coaster ride was me trying to balance the 2 and turn it into wind, at the same time trying to avoid the big hay stack (I actually flew over the top of it!!). The whole process was complicated by having a cross wind blowing! A change of underwear when I got home, but a good training session in one engine flying.

• 5 months later...

As this thread has been referenced by Chris in his GTC build, I will update it but nothing much to say. Since the engine cut outing it hasn't flown again, combination of Covid, weather and too many other 'planes to fly as a result of lockdown 1. I do think that I've now got the engines running really well having sorted out the carb alignment so it's now a question of covid and weather (again) before I take it out again.