Greetings from Wokingham

Marc Bonner

Advert

Hi mark. Welcome. You don't say what your last radio was. And if you still have a radio, you might just get it checked, as it will still work a trainer just fine. The big sellers are Futaba, but selling less than they used to, Spektrum, holding their own, and a new kid on the block, FRSky, making a lot of ground, bangs per buck. All are good.

I don't use it but if I was coming back, I would look closely at the FRSky transmitters, if you can get your head round the different operating system. People mix and match servos nowadays.

Hi mark. Welcome. You don't say what your last radio was. And if you still have a radio, you might just get it checked, as it will still work a trainer just fine. The big sellers are Futaba, but selling less than they used to, Spektrum, holding their own, and a new kid on the block, FRSky, making a lot of ground, bangs per buck. All are good.

I don't use it but if I was coming back, I would look closely at the FRSky transmitters, if you can get your head round the different operating system. People mix and match servos nowadays.

Hi Marc, and welcome back to the hobby. I belong to the Bracknell and District Model Aero Club (BADMAC) and we have a flying site about 15-20 minutes from Wokingham. This is a relatively new location, and unfortunately the details on our website still relate to the old field. If you can pm me, I'll try to get you further info.

Radio "Sets" don't seem to come with servos these days, you are left to make your own choice!

I don’t have a radio and will probably go for the spectrum 6 channel. That will be fine for my requirements.

Thanks for the reply Trevor. I did go to the old site near the turf place a few years back but family commitments got in the way! Would like to come down and see the new site and meet the members if possible,thanks.

Marc, I use Spektrum. A word of warning about receivers. Spektrum receivers are not cheap. Beware of knock off fakes on E Bay.

Non Spectrum, but compatible receivers, Orange and Lemon have a good reputation. Set a status is meant to let your mates know if you are up the flying field, etc. Not much used. Try it, set angry, it will stay unit you log out of the site, or change it.

Hi Marc. The SE Berks site is probably a bit closer than our BADMAC field, which is about 5 minutes away from the old turf farm site.

The BADMAC website provides a contact facility here:

http://www.badmac.uk/club/contact

Alternatively if you send me a personal message via the Modelflying site I can give you an email address.

Regarding receiver prices, it depends on your perspective. A couple of weeks ago I bought, over the counter from an actual model shop, a Spektrum 4-channel receiver for £24. For a full range, telemetry equipped original manufacturer's Rx I didn't think that was too bad. I've got an FrSky Tx too, and a couple of their Rx's, which work well and cost less than £30. However, while the transmitter programming is powerful it takes some effort to learn how to set it up. Also, FrSky seem to be forever changing protocols, so not all Tx's talk to all Rx's.

Finally, if you need instruction, a buddybox system is the way to go, so check out the facility at the clubs you visit. BADMAC has a Spektrum system.

Posted by Keith Orr 1 on 23/12/2019 08:43:24:

Morning All,

Joined the forum a couple of weeks ago, all very interesting and informative.

Can someone please explain what the "set a status" in the My Friends box up on the right hand side means.

Thanks in advance

The Set a status bit is not important.A long time ago I just put. "Designing or thinking about designing" and that lasted for a while.It didn't mean anything that I could see.

Marc welcome from me also.

I have found Hitec servos to be very good. For a Sig Seniorita I would go for the standard sized HS-311 servo but you could go smaller.

You should have no problems with the six channel Spektrum I've had an old DX6i for many years and it hasn't given a moment's concern.

My DX9 however...

• 4 weeks later...

Go for the new plastic Jeti if you can stretch to it. Rolls Royce radio, no black holes of Spe**um, full redundancy, not too bad for programming. Expensive receivers. Half the price of the hewn-from-solid-aluminium version, still the same innards as far as I can tell from Frank Skilbeck’s excellent review in this month’s mag.

Best single investment I have made. Wish I had skipped the budget entry “most of the club uses it” predecessor.

BTC