7 Day challenge Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano...............

Well it has flown, and very nicely i must say, after several last minute set backs which included the mylar hinges not taking the cyano in places, gave them a bit more but pinned them to be on the safe side. Also the right aileron was too high at neutral and the way i have the linkages there is no adjustment so i took the control wire off the servo and made a longer one, the grub screw that holds it to the torque rod stripped the thread in it`s plastic fitting. got round the problem by fitting a small collet on the end of the rod so it couldn`t slide off, this led to another problem! As the two torque rods moved in opposite directions when using ailerons there was just a fag paper gap between them, too close for comfort. My modeling side cutters wouldn`t nip the wire so i had to scrabble around as the sun was going down to find my larger ones in my garage. Here are a few shots my wife took, as you can see the sun was just going over the horizon, a close call, i only flew it for about 3 mins as the visibility was going making it hard to distinguish when side on. She took a video which i will try and upload later. Many thanks to the wife for a very good launch which was only her second, the first was a couple of minutes earlier on an old foamie to see if she could do it ok. Challenge is not over yet, i still have to finish the covering and put some tissue and thinned pva over the canopy which i ended up making from polystyrene, i was surprised how well it sanded. Final update on the challenge later with some pictures of the finished plane, i am confidant of a result for me but the Mrs is still on her 7th book, once read she still has to go back and read the last volume of War & Peace before midnight...........

img_20200120_162408_resized_20200120_053551008.jpg

img_20200120_162429_resized_20200120_053606502.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 20/01/2020 18:00:53

Edited By martin collins 1 on 20/01/2020 18:01:56

Advert

Te dah, end of the 7 day challenge, here is the result, one finished Tucano which flew as well today, i think that qualifies as a completed challenge. The paint is still wet on the canopy but it looks like a finished model to me, however i will be putting some trim colours on it to make it more visible on the top as i found it disappeared rather quickly in the poor light at the end of today.

My wife nearly made it but the Viking Britain book took her longer than anticipated, nearly 8 hours as it was a factual book rather than a novel it is a slower read to make sure you are taking it all in. That completed she went back to War & Peace but missed out by 300 pages, 200 of which are the actual story and the last 100 are Tolstoy`s comments. In the end it was a close run thing for both of us, i finished getting the basic covering on with 2 minutes to spare, having almost missed the last flush of daylight to fly it earlier. It feels good to have done the challenge and strangely i feel it was great that it went to the wire and was not completed with ease and a day to spare. I think we will both do something similar again, mine may well be to build another plane. I will post some more pics of the plane once trimmed up on the new models topic as the challenge is now over.... Martin

img_20200121_000626_resized_20200121_120712053.jpg

img_20200121_000640_resized_20200121_120659943.jpg