engine refurb

Richard Acland

Advert

Hi Richard,

I used to use oe which came in a small can with a brush in the lid. It was quite effective but left the engines looking a bit grey. I think Betterware did it.

A lot of carbon removers contain Sodium Hydroxide, so aren't safe for aluminum. This one advertises that it is ok:
Repairing Products - 'Carbon Off' carbon remover

This is the data sheet: Carbon Off Technical Data Report

Carbon-Off! Burnt on carbon remover

If you have an engine or silencer you're not too sentimentally attached to, I would try whatever you use on that first.

I've got a bottle of stove glass cleaner. It workson stove glass. It has potassium hydroxide in it. It would discolour a motors aluminium castings.

The last bottle, didn't work on stove glass. It had detergents in it. No hydroxide. Might clean a motor.

Boil it in low foam washing powder/liquid, whatever Beloved has. A toothbrush will then shift the gum. But, mount it and run it, as soon as it settles towards cold. No rust allowd.

I have used cheap washing powder but it had to be biological.. I found warm water best. Only had one go dark grey and I think it was a combination of the powder and using boiling water.. I've done many engines and exhausts with biological and it works well almost all of the time. Tend to leave them in for 30mins-1hr and then use an old tooth brush.. then rinse, and place in a warm over to dry quickly..