Apprentice Tail Question?

Roger Dyke

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new tail and fin kit for my E-Flite Apprentice S 15e.

In the kit there is a plastic fitment that holds the tail down with a slot along it for the fin. When I first purchased the complete aircraft kit, the plastic fitment had already been affixed to the bottom of the fin. In the replacement kit, it is a separate part.

My question is: Do I just slot the fin into the plastic fitment as it is a tight-ish fit, or do I glue it in. If I am to glue it, what type of glue is recommended?

Many thanks

Roger

Advert

Have you considered Stabilit Express? - sticks pretty well anything to anything else. First used it years and years ago to glue ply formers and servo trays into a plastic Robbe sailplane fuselage - bit of a palaver mixing it up ( and smells vile! ) but once it's gone off they were there for good.

PatMc: I might just do that. I just thought that someone out there might know whether some of the glues I have around me might do the trick.

Denis: I have about 4 different types of CA but don't think that any of them are foam safe (it doesn't say so).

Kevin: Unfortunately, I do not have the old fin to use as it's still in a servable condition in the plane. As you said, the tailplane is covered in a sort of plastic. I'm just a little bothered of the glue creeping into the foam and melting it.

My thanks to you all for your very valued responses. Very much appreciated. I think that I can now sort it out.

Roger Bostik or contact adhesive will be fine . Keep the horizontal tailplane as well because if you break the fin you can half the tailplane and use that as a fin . It works a treat and gets you flying again without the £25 cost of the new one . Just watch on the fin over time that it has not creased just above the slot as this is a weak point . I don't know if your a beginner but once you get the basics on an Apprentice ditch the ASX it's much nicer on a normal receiver as the settings are a bit nannyish.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that. I am a long standing modeller (with a few breaks in between) and understand what you say. I am also now a bit older in years and am going back to the more docile sorts of planes, hence the apprentice. All my other planes are IC and have purchased the Apprentice for the winter months as it's less hassle in the cold and muddy weather. Thanks for your tips. I particularly like the one about retaining the tailplane for future use.

Here you go - see page 20 :

Service and Repairs

NOTICE: After any impact or replacement, always ensure the receiver is secure in the fuselage. If you replace the receiver, install the new receiver in the same orientation and manner as the original receiver or damage may result.

Thanks to the Z-Foam™ material in the wing and fuselage of this aircraft, repairs to the foam can be made using virtually any adhesive (hot glue, regular CA (cyanoacrylate adhesive), epoxy, etc). However, use only foam-compatible CA, foam-compatible accelerant or epoxy on the vertical and horizontal tail material.

When parts are not repairable, see the Replacement Parts List for ordering by item number. For a listing of all replacement and optional parts, refer to the list at the back of this manual

Edited By PatMc on 25/01/2020 17:17:45