2020 Southern Show cancelled

That's bad news. Cancelling a show makes it lose mementum and the following year you find that the normal public will forget and not go and the traders will know that and not go.

A few years ago, when the Foot and Mouth, Weston Park still went ahead, as the organisers knew that if it lost a year, it would take 5 years to recover...

Hope it returns and maybe give the traders a special rates to help them attend the next time.

I agree with Gary -Hop Farm was great but Headcorn got less stands and became not worth while. Still a shame though. Wings and Wheels at North Weald is better.

But why do we have to pay so much to get in whilst stall holders also complain that it's too expensive for them too. It's just a field! It shouldn't cost anything to get in if the stall holders pay to sell or if we pay to get in the aeromodelling stallholders should not. Where does the the money go? You wouldn't pay to get into a shopping centre would you!

Why would anyone bother to put on a show of a decent size without some financial incentive? Land is a resource and any landowner would be daft not to make a reasonable income from allowing their property to be used. I should imagine that there are many other 'overheads' to be taken into account when the public are involved as well. Risk assessments, insurance, decent toilet facilities, security, first aid, traffic control, to think of a few.

I've never been to the Southern Show, from reports from friends who have though, the impressions have not been altogether brilliant. A friend in the trade was also not happy with it either. I might do Wings and Wheels this year if the weather is exceptionally nice, haven't been for several years since they changed to commentator. Not keen on being shouted at throughout the day. I know others didn't mind him - will take my motorbiking earplugs next timewink

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/02/2020 11:48:06

It is a shame and hopefully it will not suffer next year when the event is held next. Always very hard especially when circumstances are beyond the organisers control.

As to the debate about gate and stallholder fees, it is extremely rare that any event does not cost to organise, even if the landowner waives any fees, organisers still have to cover things such as insurance, toilets, emergency service support etc. The effort and pressures deter many, which tends to leave the position of a few clubs etc who want to help boost their club coffers and interest etc being likely organisers.

Personally, having been involved in organising model shows or events it is often the case that many fail to understand the depth of time, effort, etc required and we should be thankful there are people and clubs etc who do, as otherwise there would be hardly any shows or events. THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO DO ORGANISE OR PROVIDE SUPPORT TO SUCH EVENTS.

It wasn’t that long ago the BMFA Nationals were cancelled,,

Acording to some no one would ever go back

It returned

It’s only ever going to be as good as we all make it

Shows have changed over the years since the advent of the online deals everyday of the week, not just the odd weekend here and there,

I suspect many show’s started off as fly-ins supported by the odd local model shop and just grew from there

Unfair as it is Southern Show is off for this year and that’s that,

If everyone supports it next year then it will continue but I doubt it’s able to be run at a loss.

Edited By bert baker on 04/02/2020 17:16:30

Woodspring Wings shows doesn't charge the traders - they see it as very important to let the traders presence run the show and charge the public. If a show loses traders, the show loses itself. As a trader, myself, I know how hard it is to make money - usually it's a loss and many only do it for "fun" and to promote their business to punters who will remember the name and buy from them the next time.

Hi all,

Great shame it's off but I'm sure few of us have any idea of the running expenses of a show are with Regards to insurances and fees to the commercial aerodrome to partly suspend full-size flying for the weekend.

Big loss to the model boating crew as they normally have loads of clubs exhibiting 😮

Regards Ray