On TV tonight....

Peter Christy

Advert

Actually, I used to be a professional video-tape editor, and the "videos" I worked on were like this:

or occasionally this:

Those reels would just about hold 90 mins of standard definition, 4x3 video.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't fit in the lounge, and needed a compressed air supply (for all the air bearings) as well as a beefy mains supply to function......

cheeky

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 05/03/2020 16:21:58

Personally Spitfire films bore the pants off me.

It's not that I don't like Spitfires. I also like peas, but I don't want them for every meal !

It's bad enough that most aircraft programs are produced from an American perspective (not that I don't like Americans either).

The problem is that they are produced for the "mass market" and not for enthusiasts.

I suppose we should be grateful that they are produced at all considering the general attitude towards our hobby.

Watched it this morning. Yes, quite a good programme that followed the usual formula - nothing new in style or content, but it's difficult to know how the subject could be presented in a manner that would keep enthusiasts happy but not bore others to death. However, I suspect that it's mainly aviation fans and in particular WW2 warbird fanciers (hence the title) that will be watching, so personally, I'd concentrate more deeply on the engineering side and the restorers themselves. The recent 'Guy Martin's Spitfire' I thought came pretty close , mixing engineering, history, the human back story etc quite well.

Some good programmes turn up on Smithsonian Channel as well.