Anyone still using a balsa stripper?

Yes I recall.my issue with the SLEC offering was the perfect reproduction of wave edges. That Vmarr looks a sturdier job.

I googled the saws by proxxon...expensive new but most reasonable second d hand and quite commonly up for sale it seems. I might look out my own bench saw and see if I can sort it. I confess I am not really familiar with the uses and differences between bench saw and band saw. I have a huge table saw (?? Big disk thing for slicing olanks) which I use for, erm, slicing planks...big DIY stuff and far too big for balsa. I used to have a vibrating jig saw but it destroyed itself too many times. I've never had a band saw.

D

It could be the SLEC has a blade that is blunt ( a Swann Morton item I think ) or blade is not fixed properly. Could be you pushed the blade instead of pulling, could be you tried to cut thick balsa with one pass instead of several light cuts. The Channel section needs to be fixed to a wood base using the supplied self adhesive strip. Other than that I cannot see what could go wrong.   Well you could be trying to cut without leaving a large enough waste piece on very thin balsa.  Needs something to hold onto- perhaps a hold down sheet of 1/8 ply to press down if you want to cut down to the last bit.

SLEC is just a little bulky when fixed to a 3 inch by 39 inch wood and assembing the pack of spacers is a little tedious, but no other complaints.

Edited By kc on 18/04/2020 10:45:55

David- see the extra 2 sentances I added  -    Well you could be trying to cut without leaving a large enough waste piece on very thin balsa.  Needs something to hold onto- perhaps a hold down sheet of 1/8 ply to press down if you want to cut down to the last bit.

Edited By kc on 18/04/2020 10:48:55

There are many a good balsa stripper on market, like the SLEC unit, I've got two of those in the workshop and get on with it OK.

However I wanted a adjustable one. So whilst I was bored with the 'coronavirus syndrome situation', I made one using bits around the shed. Using a Stanley Knife Blade, scraps of soft wood, 1.5mm ply, screws, a coach bolt with a doomed head one end using one nut in the middle and a machine knob on the end of the bolt for adjusting the width of the cuts. Here's some pictures.

Homemade balsa stripper

Homemade balsa stripper

The hole in the top ignore, ex nail hole, the wood was previously used as a guide when one was tile-ing the bathroom.

Homemade balsa stripper

Above - made a safety cover for the exposed Stanley blade with 1.5 mm ply.

Works a treat.

Nice job on the adjustable balsa stripper.

While on the subject of balsa stripping has anyone got any advice for doing 'edge on' stripping. As an example I mean by this I start with a 3 x 36" sheet of 3/16" and from this I want to get 3/32" square strips. I need to cut 3/32" deep all the way along the middle of the sheet edge before putting the sheet down flat and using a conventional balsa stripper. It's the edge cut I'm having trouble with - has anyone found a reliable way of doing this? - thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted by David perry 1 on 24/04/2020 08:19:29:

Thanks.

I've just been told by my son who drives the printer that its tempo u/s for some reason. So this will have to wait sadly while we work out why the prints are failing. Seems everything unsticks from the bed and curls up like a british rail sandwich

are you on a glass print bed or a taped one ? I have glass  (heated) and just use pritstick works very good ,I have only ever lost one print that didnt stick.

Edited By Pete Crosby on 24/04/2020 11:49:11