What are my options?

Advert

peoples republic of china

republic of china

taiwan is somewhat disputed, china still claims them as territory, rest of world treats them as independent, leading to things like the the olympics where the chinese will only turn up if taiwan calls itself 'chinese taipei'

Stop buying things from China? Good luck. UK has spent around 120 years slowly hollowing out both heavy and light industries and shifting to buying from abroad, and adjusting the economy such that lots of people can only afford stuff if it is produced at prices only the various asian manufacturing economies can manage. Modelling is no different, I would suggest, "realistic alternatives" will likely cost 2x, 3x, 4x if produced in Europe.

Why just China and Taiwan? Also, is Taiwan as cheap any more? I thought they'd effectively become a first world nation and goods made there were not cheap as they were in the 80s and early 90s. I'm quite willing to be proven wrong on that point - my geopolitical knowledge is sketchy.

Whilst it doesnt sit well with me I see no alternative. When I left school in the early 1980's I worked for a company in the UK modelling trade and it was doing well. Enter the Asian products, all mass produced and much cheaper and the UK modelling industry died off. Even local model shops have died off, part due no doubt to the internet and availability of goods dispatched from China that arrive much quicker than stuff ordered from elsewhere. I would love to stop our reliance on Chinese products but cannot see us ever being able to compete

Hi Doc

"How do things change if we don't change habits? 10 years ago if I said I was buying an electric car I'd have been laughed at."

I do appreciate that change doesn't happen accidentally, although I don't see how that fact answers the question of "why China?" or "why now?"

I suspect your reason is political, if so, its not for this forum, truth told I'm not that worried, please don't feel I'm trying to cause trouble.

I don't have any political issue, but they need to get their public health situation sorted.

Also, reducing consumption from China isn't all that easy or obvious...

Example: I've purchased "top of the range" gardening machines, nominally an American brand.
When you delve into the manuals, you find that the engine is "Swedish" (Husqvarna), BUT
when you start inspecting the engine, it's marked "Made in China"...