bests place for ordering Balsa ?

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here, we've bought one kit so far, and I'm also waiting on a plan for the Hobby Shack Ridge Runt, something I built many years ago, that was from a kit, this time it's from the plan... although its a relatively simple build. When we've got the plan, I'll try and make a list of the various bits we need, abviously the majority is straightforward sheet balsa which should be easy, I'm not sure till the plan rolls up, but I think there's some triangular section too

Is there a particular place that people use for their balsa ?

Obviously there's no shop to collect from currently

thanks for your help in advance

Paul

Advert

Hi paul,

I've used slec for years now and their service and products are always excellent. The standard of balsa is always great and they have nearly all the accessories you'll ever need. They're also a great source of information if you need it.

Good luck getting back into the hobby.

Gary

Slec it is, perfect.

Stupid question now :

when we receive our balsa, we need to set to transferring the plan onto the sheet wood. I watched a guy on youtube, I think he was a plan supplier ? he covered the plan in plastic, then he cut it out and traced it onto his sheet balsa. I'm guessing this is the only/best way to do it..... but then I've butchered my plan, so I've nothing to build over, hmmm

actually, I can trace the bits I need from the plan, that's gonna be fuselage sides, wing ribs etc, so I can leave the plan intact ?

I'll keep watching youtube until I can suss it. we managed to download the build intructions and they're pretty good with diagrams..... plus having build this model years ago might help

looking forward to it

...... and I get another crack at learning to fly again, my previous iteration of this model was test flown by an experienced pilot, it flew nicely, but after that, I really don't remember where it went

Posted by Paul Jones 1 on 03/05/2020 19:21:23:

Slec it is, perfect.

Stupid question now :

when we receive our balsa, we need to set to transferring the plan onto the sheet wood. I watched a guy on youtube, I think he was a plan supplier ? he covered the plan in plastic, then he cut it out and traced it onto his sheet balsa. I'm guessing this is the only/best way to do it..... but then I've butchered my plan, so I've nothing to build over, hmmm

actually, I can trace the bits I need from the plan, that's gonna be fuselage sides, wing ribs etc, so I can leave the plan intact ?

I'll keep watching youtube until I can suss it. we managed to download the build intructions and they're pretty good with diagrams..... plus having build this model years ago might help

looking forward to it

...... and I get another crack at learning to fly again, my previous iteration of this model was test flown by an experienced pilot, it flew nicely, but after that, I really don't remember where it went

There are a few ways to do it Paul. I like to photocopy the plan around the parts I need then print off. If I need several of the same rib, I'll cut one in ply and use that as a template to cut around. Bigger parts like the tail plane often get scanned in 2 parts and stuck together. Just make sure your printer prints at 100% scale as I got caught out with this before.

Gary

Will add my vote for both Balsa Cabin & SLEC , both stores carry slightly different stock beyond just basic balsa . i.e laser cut kits, wheels etc, so you may find ancillary items sway youre buying power one way or anotehr depaending on what you want to buy. Either way though you wil not be dissapointed with either of these two companies.

Fast friendly and efficient servuce, dont be afrid to call either up if you have any questions or queries.