Bike Maintenance Stand to Model Stand?

Grovelling down in the mud or dust to work on models at the field is losing its appeal these days. Having used a bike maintenance stand for the first time a couple of days ago (for its intended purpose), it occurred to me it could easily be adapted to support a model at the right height to work on. A couple of foam lined cradles clamped onto the horizontal tube would give the same sort of thing found on flight boxes, only at a height that would avoid bending or kneeling down. There is also a little tool tray on the vertical post which is handy.

Lidl Bicycle Maintenance Stand

Has anyone got any experience of using one of these for models?Lidl Bike Stand

The stands are pretty stable with the legs spread right out, although if running a large engine or motor, some decent ground anchors would be a useful addition.

Coincidently Lidl are doing them from the 24th of May for £24.99 which makes building something similar from scratch barely worth the effort.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 14/05/2020 18:40:15

Advert

https://www.google.com/search?q=great+mate+model+stand&client=tablet-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=sinv&sxsrf=ALeKk024YOq8xOHDgqN26vg9Uu3JHHGlHQ:1589577490578&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiewqzN5bbpAhUjrXEKHfpJDqgQ_AUoAnoECAsQAg&biw=960&bih=600&dpr=2#imgrc=xvBcn6xnZshRwM

I use one of these great £70 secondhand purchase

I adapted a cheap folding workbench from one of the DIY shops. I added two cradles to the end, that is about it.

Flight box sits on the bits between the legs, hold it steady, and it does not move when starting an ic up.

Cost about £20.