Horus RTC battery

Geoff S

Posted by PatMc on 18/06/2020 15:55:24:

The Horus hadn't corrected overnight or when left on for about 20 minutes in a bedroom this morning. However left it switched on in the garden sun lounge the time & date were correct when checked after about 30 minutes.
Since the Taranis doesn't have GPS I've switched off the RTC adjust option.

I'm now wondering if selecting this option increases the drain on the RTC battery a) when there's no GPS b) when there is GPS.
If the drain is increased in b) it may be best to de-select the option once the clock has been updated.

Which Horus do you have?

• 3 years later...

Hi.  I am new here, so I hope this is appropriate, and not out of date.....

Given the difficulty of replacing the RTC battery has anyone considered / tried adding a couple of extension wires to the existing battery holder and mounting another battery holder with battery in a more accessible location?  Would there be room in the case for this - I haven't look inside yet.  

I certainly didn't think of doing it when I replaced the battery and it's still working.  In fact, until this post cropped up again, I'd forgotten I'd ever replaced the battery at all!  The new RTC battery has lasted a loot longer than the original - perhaps I should check its voltage?

• 3 months later...

It's flat again!  I got the RTC battery error yesterday when I switched on my Horus to do the Pup motor tests. So the new batter has only lasted 2.5 years like its predecessor.  I'll replace it in the spring. I won't be doing much flying for a few weeks. At least I know the drill.

• 3 months later...

Just like to say thank you to @Geoff S for the pictures and description - earlier in the thread - of changing the RTC battery on the Horus - very useful!  I've just replaced mine, after getting warnings at startup, and it is indeed a bit fiddly.  I managed to chip off a small piece of the plastic surround of the battery holder (it was very brittle) in my ham-fisted attempts to free the old battery but it seems to hold the new battery OK still.  I reckon the battery had lasted about 2.5 years, as others have said.

• Thanks 1