What size to print plans without a scale tab

Advert

In my experience, unless you are very unlucky, the plan will print out to the correct size when printed at "100%".

Open up the pdf on your computer and set the view to 100%. On your screen, it may not be 100% exactly when measured with a ruler (on mine, the display is a little undersize and needs to be set to about 103% to measure correctly).

However, if you print a section of the plan at 100% in your print settings, your printer should produce it accurately on paper at exactly 100%. If you print a section with known dimensions (wheels, spinner as Stuart suggests) then you can test your plan for dimensional accuracy and either tile-print it yourself or send it to your commercial print shop with confidence.

Edited By Mike T on 21/06/2020 13:44:20

I don't see where the problem is. Plans on Outerzone are full-size (and the correct size), unless stated otherwise.
You don't need to "scale" plans from Outerzone. The work has already been done!

This means that, if you print the plan at 100%, you get the plan at exactly the right size. It's worked for me, very many times, but I always tile print my own.

Hi all,

thanks a million for your very quick replies. It’s been over 20 years since I built from any plans, and then I had to buy a paper copy .

with regard to the plans , if I wanted to print it on A4, is there a way of printing in and sticking the pages together? Edit. I see it is referenced to tiled printing?

i used to cut out the paper copy, and glue them to the wood, then cut. If I can print on my computer, then I can do the same, while getting a full size printed in the printers.

i am using windows 10.

many thanks

Edited By Rogeo1983 on 21/06/2020 14:10:00

If you open the plan in Adobe Acrobat Reader ( get the latestest version) and go to 'Print' then select 'Poster' you will see how the plan prints on many A4 sheets. Select '100'percent then the overlap and 'Cut marks' . Then its all down to sellotape and scalpel to assemble the plan.   However many people put the file on a memory stick and take it to a copy shop - seems to cost just a few pounds according to some people.

Try just printing one selected sheet to make sure it's printing OK to avoid wasting paper.

Edited By kc on 21/06/2020 14:19:55

My local Office supply shops can print plans from PDFs from Outer zone and they come out spot on. In fact Ijust email thePDF to them and collect it the next morning.

In windows 10 I see that Paint has an option for tile printing althoughI didn't actually use it.. On my ancient desk top I have a tileprint program that works really well although,to be completely honest,I have only just worked out how to get it to work properly

Hi Rogeo, I have had many plans copied and printed at a professional printers locally; 100%, enlarged or at a smaller scale. Some plans only show one half of the wing, so you can ask them to do a mirror image print of the wing. Obviously the text will be in reverse.

Just be aware that some people have reported some distortion when printing out from a home printer, so if you print out one part at home, compare with the professionally printed plan for accuracy before cutting balsa.

If you are building something large, sticking A4 sheets together can be a pain. A local copy shop with facilities for printing larger sheets is an option.

A4 can be great for printing individual components or small plans.

Outerzone plans are generally scaled right. But. Do confirm before you start cutting.

Sometimes printing software and printers don't play well together. Another reason to check the size you actually get out of the printer.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of this is probably covered above,

If your printer has a poster print option it will automatically print the whole full size plan on A4 sheet. (make sure fit to page is Not selected) if you use this method make sure the paper is well fanned out, aerated, the printer guides are as tight as possible and you have a lot of sellotape otherwise you'll need to fudge your jigsaw a little.

the other option and this depends very much on how complex the model design is is resize to make the plan fit on 4 a4 pages and scale it up as you build to size that suits you.

Call your local Kwik print type shop then email them the PDF and get a quote for a full size print

Good Luck with whatever you decide

Alex