Models over 20kg are subject to inspection whilst being built then proving flights i believe ? What about an ARTF that weighs that ? Are there any large ARTF models that weight ?

And what rules apply to pilots owning/flying them, I know to join LMA and fly at events you will be assessed by someone, what if you just want to fly it at your club ?

My understanding is the rules will change to AUW including fuel/batteries of 25Kg at some point.

IMHO its an agreement between the CAA and LMA, if you don't go the LMA route then you would have to comply with the CAA individually so that you can fly a model.

If it was ARTF then as long as the manufacturer has gone through the CAA build inspection process I can see an issue and has all the documentation. I think if you built a model or bought one (all be it ARTF) and it didn't have the paperwork it would be very difficult to retrospectively get it passed (would you sign off a 30kg 150MPH turbine just looking at the visible airframe?).

An interesting conundrum. This Cub comes in at around the 26 Kilo mark

**LINK**

How would the internal inspection process work in the case of such an airframe as the big Cub if it was to be imported? AFAIA, individual aircraft are inspected throughout the build and signed off at the end after flying tests - so how will the quality of workmanship of an ARTF factory half way around the planet be monitored and signed off? I suppose this must have cropped up before, wonder how it was dealt with?

Way beyond my pay grade, but just curious.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/06/2020 10:36:05