eBay QR code?

Bryan Lea

I've never been asked for a QR code.. nor have I seen any option for it.

I'd be very suspicious of this... using your phone to read a QR code executes a line of code, an address for info, advertisement etc which can run something on your phone... I wonder if it can also be a link to something more sinister. I wouldn't touch it, other than to flag it up to Ebay.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 13/07/2020 14:11:20

Collect Only

Leaves the buyer Open, to you claiming your money back from eBay for Non Delivery ie

Collected, where you claim that you never collected The item

The QR Code,

Seals this deal as solid, that you paid and the buyer provided goods

It does this immediately on the seller's account validating the sale

Do this if you can as this secures the sale

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/07/2020 14:34:59

Thanks for the replies.I paid by PayPal using the 'pay now' button. I don't see the need for a QR code when I met the seller in person and collected the model. I've no idea how to get a QR code anyway. The seller saw me put the model in my car and we were both happy with the deal. I have no intention of telling eBay that I didn't receive the goods. I will contact eBay and ask them to explain the need for a QR code and is it a new requirement.

You just give a perfect explanation why Bryan.

PayPal will support you all the way.

There are people out there not like you, they pay and collect the item, and some weeks later report a no sale.

PayPal support the buyer and take the money back from the seller.

It happened to me

But never again with the QR code

Thanks. That seems fair enough. More searching of eBay and I have found this;-

"After you’ve completed your purchase, we’ll send an email with a collection code (a QR code and a 6 digit code) to your Messages. You can either print off your email or show the seller the message on the app when you collect your item. The seller will scan or enter the code on the eBay app to confirm you’ve collected your item."

The problem I have is that I cannot find a message from eBay with a QR code. I'll try contacting eBay.

I got eBay to call me back. They said just tell the seller to enter 'paid'. There was no explanation as to why they didn't send me the QR code. It is not very often that I bid on eBay auctions and it might be sometime before I do again!

Thanks everybody for your replies. Bryan

It not a good idea to leave this post with an inconclusive outcome. At 1st sight it may appear that a QR Code can

somehow become unecessary, and in an honest society it is. But to add extra security

eBay devised a QR code that could be used as delivery confirmation for Local Pickup orders in lieu of tracking numbers provided by shipping companies. For obvious reasons, tracking numbers aren't available for local pickups (since the item isn't shipped), making it difficult for sellers to prove the customer received their order.

April 29, 2020 - 11:00 am

eBay have announced a change is coming for sellers who allow buyers to collect items in person. An eBay Local Pickup QR code delivery confirmation is coming soon, and already rolling out first in the US.

The reason that this matters is for years sellers hated buyers paying via PayPal and then collecting an item. With no proof of delivery (or collection in the case of pickup), once a buyer had the item there was nothing to stop them doing a chargeback. The seller would lose every time as it is only with online tracking that seller protection kicks in.

eBay Engineer Maggie Donnels spoke on the eBay for Business podcast episode 88 this week, to explain how it will all work.

A new eBay local pickup QR Code be given to the buyer (along with a six digit code) which they will present to the seller when they come to collect the item. All the seller has to do is, through the eBay app, scan the eBay local pickup QR code which will generate a tracking number and mark the item as delivered.

NB This will currently only work if local pickup was offered on the listing but this may come in the future.

The system is triggered when the buyer selects local pickup when checking out on eBay. The buyer will receive the QR code in their app and through email should they wish to print it out. For those sellers who don’t have a QR code compatible bar code, the six digit collection code also given to the buyer can be used for collection confirmation.

The QR code stays valid so long as it hasn’t been scanned and will only be generated once the item has been paid for through eBay, so there is an incentive for the buyer to collect as quickly as possible.