MFA Power Panel

I have dragged my old flight box out of (34 year) retirement and although the MFA Power Box fuel pump and starter supply is fine the plug sockets are showing 12volts. Would this problem be repairable or should I invest in a new power box. If the latter is the case, any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated.
Thanks

Advert

If the volts are dropped by a resistor then a voltmeter would show 12v until a load was placed on the socket. It is the load that caused the volt drop (Vdrop=IR).

Try it with a glowplug or a small torch/car bulb connected.

Dick

Thanks all. The reason for the post was the result of trying a plug which immediately zapped when when connected.
I’m not an electrical expert but will try to check the resistors tomorrow. It would appear that the glowplug was not sufficient load to drop the voltage.

Derek

When you get into the back of the panel Derek, just scan along and feel the hard wires are actually soldered down.

It is very easy for this kind of hard wiring to spring apart due to age and stress.

I hope the simplest scenario presents itself, as these early units were assembled by putting stiff wire across to components

taking the shortest route, and pinned down with solder

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/08/2020 08:41:57

Is this the panel with an integral fuel pump and white line border around the front panel and a yellow capped selector knob? I had one the same, it had a 'plug' and 'hi-amp plug' position, using the wrong setting could blow a plug and also fail to start an engine with a hi amp plug!

Can't remember why I stopped using it, think the fuel pump gummed up. I fly mostly gliders but recently finished an Xtra Wot, my cobbled together flight box was not up to the job so I gave it a birthday.

New power panel, JP, under £20 with variable plug current, adjust to get the right colour glow. It needs a separate fuel pump (which I was using already).

Second battery, the old gel cell was not good enough to turn a 120 engine over, the battery is from a motorcycle in storage. The new battery only powers the starter.

Volt meter for the motorcycle battery, mainly to make sure I don't kill it using it to power a field lipo charger.

12V cigarette lighter socket, Jeti transmitters have an optional 12V charger accessory.

I'm planning to make a pure charging station using a new car battery that my daughter bought and then decided to scrap the car. I charge a lot of small lipos for F5J practise and competitions.

Cheers

Gary

20200801_073721761_ios.jpg

20200801_073731034_ios.jpg

20200801_074056010_ios.jpg

20200801_074104183_ios.jpg

If it’s the old mFA with the rotary switch is is a simple beast. Nice panel though using dropper resistors. I would expect to see 12 volts on the plug socket without a load. Maybe test with something like a sidelight bulb if you do not wish to risk a plug. They are nice no nonsense panels

Edited By gangster on 01/08/2020 16:01:19

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.
I found some new plugs and used the’Plug’ setting and all was well. I probably had it on the High-Amp setting when I tried the first plug.

I tried to attach a photo but couldn’t get the post to see my photo albums. One to resolve on a wet day!!

Kind regards,

Derek