2K Fuel Proofing

Mike T

I'm repainting a vintage type with "Guild" aerosol enamel (sold to me as Flair Spectrum paint) which claims to be fuel proof. I don't want to go through the mess of cleaning this off and doing the job again at some point in the future, so I want to do a 'belt and braces' job by fuel proofing over the areas which will get oiliest - in and around the cowl, and where the exhaust ejects alongside the front fus and over the undercarriage.

What have people been using lately - any recommendations?

Advert

The spectrum paint s an enamel type paint so anything you apply over it must be an enamel type fuel proofer. 2K acrylic clear coat will probably pickle it although if allowed to cure for a long time you might ,just might get away with a very light coat. The spectrum is supposed to be highly fuel resistant provided it is allowed to cure properly, probably a couple of weeks before being exposed to fuel. The best single pack fuel proof paint IMO was Solarlac clearcote, sadly no longer available . Even that is not compatible with the Flair/ spectrum type enamel.

The only fuel proofreads I have really trusted is the two pack type. Originally tuff coat / furniglass and more recently aerocoat. Had no problem using it over Flair or Humbrol unless applied too soon. The only paint I found it was not a success with was Halfords car touch up. It didn’t wrinkle it it just peaked off like sunburn

Thanks for the inputs everybody. I was gifted some Aerokote but I'm reluctant to use it as the hardener states a shelf-life of only 6 months and its way older than that.

The Rustins sounds good, but as the paint is well-cured (about 4 weeks) I'm inclined to just key the critical areas with wire wool and coat them with epoxy finishing resin.