Alloy wheel issue

MaxG

Just asking for thoughts on an issue with my car.

One of my tyres loses pressure and I am sure that it is where the tyre is not seating on the wheel due to a bit of corrosion. this is because some tyre fitter in the past used steel clip on weights instead of stick on ones and it damaged the wheel coating, causing the corrosion and hence the lack of seal..

Is it viable to put a tube in the tyre?

The only other alternative I can see is to get the wheels blasted and recoated which would be rather more expensive.

The car is some 9 years old so I do not want to spend a lot of cash on it,

Maxg

At the moment Max, you have a tubeless tyre fitted with rather splendid properties of deflecting objects but when the time comes, perhaps a nail comes along then the tubeless tyre will grip the nail and attempt a slow deflation.

Not so with an innertube.

The innertube will solve your leak, and may last a long long time, but then again, it may not, as is like a balloon

Try having a fitter remove your tubeless tyre, thoroughly clean the bead and the seat, then refit it it.

That may solve your problem

Stay tubeless if possible

I must say that alarm bells rang for me about this ............a little research suggests that fitting a tube into a tubeless tyre (they are marked tubeless, after all) is not recommended. The difference in construction between old style tubed tyres and modern tubeless  may well cause friction between the airtight inner of a tubeless tyre and a tube leading to failure.

Not sure if a reputable tyre fitting centre would go down this route. Needs some careful consideration IMHO.

Looking at the Pirellis  on my Bonneville, which with spoked wheels has tubes,they're marked "tubeless - on tube type rim fit tube" so clearly more to this than meets the eye. Never seen that on a car tyre though.

Edited By Cuban8 on 27/08/2020 16:53:34

I have had this problem with my Audi A6 Quattro for a long time. It is always the fronts which deflate quickly and my trusted tyre supplier says that it is because the wheel bead is very narrow on these and it is the action of turning which causes a small leak each time. He always carefully cleans the bead and applies sealant. However, the latest set of fronts of a different brand have settled down and now hardly leak at all.

Using pump in tyre sealant is not a long term solution and can result in a balance problem with the wheel.

Many tubeless tyres have moulding ribs inside them that can wear through a tube quit quickly.

As Denis says have the fitter clean/smooth the damaged area.

Another option would be to get another wheel from a vehicle reclaimer, had one for my Focus for £20 even had a good tyre with many miles left on it.

Tubes in tubeless tyres are not recommended for several reasons. They can rub and a  puncture can cause sudden deflation rather than slow deflation.
get your garage or tyre bay to run some bead sealer around it. That’s what they make it for.

Edited By Shaunie on 27/08/2020 22:03:11

I think jd8 means my post, Martin?

Jd8 I do appreciate that the pump in sealant is a bodge. But the op did state not wanting to spend much on the car. My circumstance was similar, I was not expecting to make it through the forthcoming mot without much expense but the first one turned out OK. The next one around the eighteen month mark financially killed the car.