Getting Hard To Buy Lipo's

tigerman

I have noticed almost every where you look the popular size of lipo are out of stock every where .Hobby King ,Motion RC ,Gliders etc .Is this down to the virus or has I have always suspected. that all lipo are made by a couple of company (Mainly in China ) and different companies then just put there brand on the lipos I think most of the lipo we buy come from the same place regardless of who you buy them from.That why there seems to be a shortage of lipo

Advert

Posted by Barrie Lever on 23/09/2020 12:55:03:

J D 8

Don't get me started on that one, they effectively wreaked the manufacturing interest in glow engines and then walked away from it once they realised that it was no longer serving their purposes.

The good thing about glow engines is that gradually manufacturers will spring up again as it does not require a huge factory to make glow engines like it does to make something like LiPo cells.

Point of fact you could go and buy a rough old lathe for a few hundred pounds and you will be able to manufacture an engine that runs after a bit of practise, try that making a LiPo cell !!

B.

A more appropriate comparison might be between making a LiPo cell and manufacturing your own glow fuel from scratch -not mixing it from available chemicals.

The good thing about glow engines is that gradually manufacturers will spring up again as it does not require a huge factory to make glow engines like it does to make something like LiPo cells.

Point of fact you could go and buy a rough old lathe for a few hundred pounds and you will be able to manufacture an engine that runs after a bit of practise, try that making a LiPo cell !!

The trick is to turn a profit whilst doing so.

I would strongly contend that worldwide trade conditions and changing leisure interests are what 'killed' the glow manufacturers. Blaming an evil empire won't change either of those two things.

And it looks like a couple of the RC car engine manufacturers have started to make some glow engines too, the Force 46, SH15 and 32 and NGH are offering a glow version of one of their small petrol engines, NGH 55.

But there are also loads of new in box engines around too, we have a few in our club room.

One of the other issues with Lipos is shipping, not that easy to ship them by air anymore.

Just wanted to point out we still have a British glow engine manufacturer - Laser Engines. They also happen to be made with the best quality materials available, and to the highest engineering standards. What's more, they are considerably cheaper than their far East imported equivalents. Every penny you spend is invested in that Laser - no importer costs, distributor costs, currency fluctuations, or retailer overheads !

Nobody should count mecoa...

I thought Weston actually made them fresh, well, some bits anyway with other bits coming from elsewhere -

"Since the demise of Webra we have bought the crankcase tooling which we have redesigned for the .52 to make it much stronger. Now the engines are manufactured in house with some parts made in Italy and Hungary. "