Alternative to Dural

Andy J

Advert

HI Andy, I'm pretty sure that the stuff in B&Q will be too soft. You need an alloy from the 2xxx or 6xxx series of age hardenable grade alloys. I would suggest you look at somewhere like Noggin End Metals where they have 2014 and 6082 grade alloys that would be more suitable. There is a link below if it works.

LINK

You could aways try the B&Q stuff. I found the 15mm by 1mm strip they sold was suitable for cabane struts on a Barnstormer, seemed rather like dural.

However it's best to buy the right stuff -DB Sport & Scale sell dural priced per 100mm. They also cut and bend to shape but it's not cheap. Or they sell preformed u/c for their designs see their Plan Packs.

Edited By kc on 18/10/2020 13:38:42

The Clickmetals price excludes delivery and VAT which puts the price up to over £30. 15 pound for delivery and VAT on top!

Might be better to buy from DB Sport & Scale where it also costs about £7 and you might buy other items to make the delivery cost worthwhile.

Worth mentioning here that dural is softened by rubbing some soap on it and heating until the soap turns black.   After bending etc it hardens again after a few days all on it's own.

Edited By kc on 18/10/2020 17:40:23

Edited By kc on 18/10/2020 17:41:28

Actually its 600mm of 19 x 3 mm that costs 7.20 pound at DB which compares with ebay. To be fair Clickmetals is for a 100mm width, so not like for like. Delivery is all important when buying online and they usually don't mention that until the checkout.

If one is not proficient at metal bending it might turn out cheaper to buy a ready made item rather than scrap a misbent one. Also consider buying or making a carbon u/c.   Carbon Copy do u/c for about 14 pounds up with postage of about 6 pounds for up to 4 items.  Somewhere on the forum is a thread about laying up carbon & epoxy u/c.

Personally I prefer 8SWG piano wire u/c of the torque rod type ( as in recent Peter Miller designs and many others) Needs a wire bender but that is available from 4Max for about 18 pounds. Absorbs the landing shocks better and easily rebent at the field if a bit out of shape.

Edited By kc on 18/10/2020 19:40:54

If you wish to go with carbon fibre, I've had 3 full solid carbon u/c for 50cc - 60cc models which I've been happy with from here .....https://carbonrcparts.com/

I've had some from carbon copy , but they were just glass fibre laminated with carbon fibre on the outside, not solid carbon . They were OK for smaller sports models, but after a short while on my 50cc - 60cc these delaminated and split along the glass fibre sandwiched between the outer top and bottom carbon fibre layer. Hopefully they may have improved by now, I've not had had any more since.

Edited By Ronaldo on 18/10/2020 21:31:59

Edited By Ronaldo on 18/10/2020 21:36:35

Edited By Ronaldo on 18/10/2020 21:39:03