Modern domestic heating thermostats

fly boy3

Modern boilers don't have a great track record for reliability or longevity in my (limited) experience. I have a boiler dating back to the early 80s which just needs the control board PCB resoldering every few years when the joints dry out in the heat. I did have to replace the case fan a few years ago but that should probably last the rest of the boiler's life - and I see no real reason to change it on the grounds of economy (for the reasons you've mentioned) or even possibly ecology when you consider that any earlier replacement would probably be on its last legs now and how much pollution is caused during manufacture, transportation and disposal.

I do have a carefully positioned CO detector as a precaution and a spare gas valve squirrelled away if it's ever needed - assuming I can find a Gas Safe engineer willing to fit it.

One of my clubmates has exactly the same boiler of a similar vintage and is of the same opinion,

I have one of those wireless control things which is brilliant Its a Hive. you can control it from your phone , !!!!

If you know how , and yes I am of the very oldies , but its worth knowing how to do it , because my wife is still trying to work out why it the temp settings go down soon after she turns them up , and I have been nowhere near the device , She does not know about the phone !

cheers

Hi lads, the plumber did not tell the little old lady I am trying to help that the system was even timed twice as you say.Yes Early Bird that's the one. The sticking point is the wall mounted thermostat. This is reading 23C. So this is the room temp ? If during off period 8 30 to 16 30 can you put the heating back on using thermostat ? Thanks

I recently had a new Bosch/Worcester boiler fitted with a wireless programmer/thermostat. Right from the start, the boiler seemed to have a mind of its own, not following the thermostat commands. Chatting to my neighbour, she said her boiler had started playing up, exhibiting the same problem. She had the same system as mine, installed by the same plumber.

Whilst reading the programmer instruction booklet for the umpteenth time, the penny dropped!!!

The programmer interface box has switches on the back panel for setting the wireless channel. Comparing the two, both our systems had been set to the same default channel, so we were controlling each others boilers!!!

I changed the channel setting on mine - problem solved!!

That seems incredibly bad design if an individual unit is not unique paired with its controller, it more aligned to the old 35MHz tx when u had to select your channels to avoid interference.

it does remind me of a problem my neighbo had with there remote WiFi front doorbell which would ring for no apparent reason, turned out it was the remote key fib on my land rover which would activate the front doorbell each time I opened or closed the car

On the Greenstar you can also simply turn the knob to adjust the temperature at any time. When you do so, it will display the desired temperature for a short time, then revert to its default of showing the current room temperature. If it is set to auto, it will revert to the auto setting at the next time period.

As Steve says, if you just leave it set ON, the thermostat will work like an old fashioned one and the boiler will just respond to manual temperature adjustments.

Edited By Trevor Crook on 28/10/2020 07:59:51

That particular thermostat programmer does not seem to have the 'extra hour' or 'override ' buttons that some have. To my mind an essential feature to set either hot water or heating for an extra hour or to start or stop early. Very simple to use and surely would eventually save it's cost if specified or changed. Far the best system for the older amongst us ( if one feels cold just push the button and the system then goes back to the programme at the next scheduled time. Simple )

There is a sequence shown for 'Pairing' - much better term than Binding that we use.

Edited By kc on 28/10/2020 10:53:21

Posted by kc on 24/10/2020 16:33:15:

As others have said - read the manual and write down the sequence for what you want to do then do it on the programmer.

For anybody thinking of changing an old fashioned boiler to a new one to save money - don't bother. The savings in gas won't pay for the cost of the required annual service in all probability! We changed our old traditional boiler for a new Worcester condensing one and our gas bills are not any less than before despite using it the same as far as we can tell. However this years servicing bill of 90 pounds ( and every year too to keep the warranty) makes it more expensive. The old boiler went for 24 years without servicing!

When I was working away from home a lot, I had a service contract with Brit Gas to look after the home heating and not leave the missus to worry about anything to do with gas problems/water leaks/getting cold etc.

I found myself at home on one occasion when the boiler was being 'serviced' and was appalled at what was actually done.

Remove cover and peer inside ( two minutes max) - Run boiler and stick a probe in the exhaust to check combustion ( five minutes tops) - Fill in worksheet on laptop (ten minutes) - finish cup of tea I'd made him.

To cut a long story short, the guy was friendly and up for a chat and when I asked about the service he said the days of spending an hour dusting and cleaning, setting the igniter gap, cleaning the jet and so on were over. Providing the combustion gasses were OK, that was that. He said that our boiler being an older one and so very much more robust than new electronic types, was better off being left alone and not interfered with unless broken! Make of this what you will, but I changed the contract to the most basic one, sans 'service'. This was fifteen years ago and the boiler has performed well ever since, only needing a new igniter module a year or two ago - all covered by the contract.

Asked that the electronic timer unit be replaced as well because the casing was cracked and not secure, again changed with no problem. Easily recovered my outgoings on the two repairs, as BG charged at the time £400 quid minimum for a non-contract call out repair, per item!

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/10/2020 12:23:16

Early Bird and all the others who are helping this old gent, thank you very much. Due to lock down this help to another is hard as I cannot leave the house lol.I would like to sum up in laymans terms.

1, The thermostat is set for required temp. Then leave well alone.

2, The system is programmed to 2,on/off per day.

3, If I need to put heating on during an off period, could I use button No 5 (advance) on programmer ?

4, If I use button 5 will programmer revert to original setting next time ?

Thanks all for putting up with these daft questions as you are my only hope lol.

Posted by fly boy3 on 28/10/2020 15:18:48:

1, The thermostat is set for required temp. Then leave well alone.

2, The system is programmed to 2,on/off per day.

3, If I need to put heating on during an off period, could I use button No 5 (advance) on programmer ?

4, If I use button 5 will programmer revert to original setting next time ?

3. Yes

4. Yes

and well done

Cheers beer

Steve