How do you cut yours?

Thomas Gooderham

Posted by Jonathan M on 26/11/2020 07:05:13:
Posted by Cuban8 on 24/11/2020 13:38:37:

A set of Permagrits have been my best investment when it comes to modelling along with my bandsaw.

I'm keen to buy myself a Christmas present - which exact choice of Permagrits would make an ideal starter-set?

I have the 11" sanding block which is in use all the time. Fantastic!!!!

I agree with Peter the 11" sanding block is excellent, bought mine not long after Ian started the business, so it's quite old, still cuts well. I have quite a range of Permagrit tools. Ones that I use regularly is the block with the 45 degree ends, useful for getting into corners. The lat plate one gets used regularly too. In fact all have their uses.

Note that the current RCME has a subscription deal with free gift of Permagrit items including the best and only one you really need (wedge block) if you quote the ref RCME 1120P Bad news is the deal is only until 27th Nov thats TOMORROW - good news is you can extend your current sub and still get the free gift ( that's what they told me on the phone Monday )

It clearly says it ends 27th Nov.......I emailed Beth Ashby weeks ago and she clariifed that the offer was available to print copy subscribers too. This week I phoned the subscription dept and spoke to someone else to make sure the offer would apply if I changed my 3 month continuous renewing sub to annual when the current one ran out. I was told it was OK but they would take the payment now. So i suggest you phone today and make sure they understand you want the Permagrit offer.  ( which is what i did  )

Edited By kc on 26/11/2020 13:00:59

The small flat file is pretty useful too. As my block is getting on (sanding steel with the course side didn't do it any favours) I've treated myself to a starter kit which contains various small files, large flat and angle files, rotary sander and rotary disc, file handle and the large block sander. I found it helped to not look at the prices when completing the order.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/11/2020 23:21:08:

The small flat file is pretty useful too. As my block is getting on (sanding steel with the course side didn't do it any favours) I've treated myself to a starter kit which contains various small files, large flat and angle files, rotary sander and rotary disc, file handle and the large block sander. I found it helped to not look at the prices when completing the order.

Do you know that replacement abrasive sheets are available from Permagrit to refurbish the blocks? They are self adhesive and very easy to replace.  Paint stripper and a wire brush can revive clogged abrasive.

P.S. A really useful tool (available in a couple of sizes) is the spar slotter - invaluable for fitting stringers to ribs and fuselage formers when building and especially whilst undertaking repairs.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/11/2020 13:12:31