S6R problem

Brian Dorricott 1

There i was booked a slot down the field ,first flight for 5/6 weeks so took the Bixler ( expendable) pre flight checks showed a problem . S6R setup with stabilisation for launching by myself but the all controls showed hesitation firstly starting to move then glitches near neutral and finally to the opposite corner . First thoughts battery cold so warmed a new one up under armpit while exercising controls but always a bit slow and hesitant and a glitch near neutral. This occurred with or without stab in as I only use it for launch anyway . Brought to mind that I had a few flights before lockdown that weren't the usual locked in easy fun fly that I put down to dumb thumbs on the day . Did not fly and brought it home checked servos and esc all ok so so replaced S6R with a spare bound it and viola everything perfect , so where to go with old SR . Do I put firmware in it and run the LUA script again or consign it to burial in the landfill ? Is this related to the "glitch" problem mentioned lately ? Need to check what firmware and OpenTX versions because mine have not been changed for 3 years . Has this been seen before and what was the fix .

As far as I'm aware the 'glitch' as highlighted by some German posters on Github and RCGroups is a full lockout of one surface lasting a second or more. From your description I'd suspect a loose/damaged aerial or a failing component. Aerials are cheap and easy to replace so that's what I'd try, along with an extensive bench test. If it still played up then I'd consider it fit for use as a bench test unit only.

It doesn't sound like the German glitch (which I've never experienced) which from reports is momentary and not consistent.

Could be a poor aerial, as per Bob's suggestion, but in circumstances like this, I would always recommend a re-bind and re-calibrate.

It could be cold weather related. Your write up seems to indicate it worked alright in the warmer conditions at home.

My only model with a stabiliser is a UMX Pitts Special (Spektrum), which is apparently unflyable without it! I did have one of the servos in that reverse itself between flying sessions! Not only was it responding to the Tx in reverse, but also the gyro so it must have been the servo! Always checked them very carefully before launching since then! surprise

--

Pete

Just a thought - where do you store it, and did you try the original rx in the model again after the successful test with a second rx? Not all servo leads and extensions take kindly to storing in damp, cold conditions and often simply removing and replacing a lead can clean the connectors enough for normal service to resume if the model has been kept in a shed or garage.

As I say, just a thought!

Update and new problem

I took my S6R and ran the LUA script and disabled the stabilisation and what do know , everything was smooth again . When i re-enabled the stabilisation the rudder stopped working and at this point i kicked the little beggar to the far reaches of the bench and got out my spare . You guessed it the spare running stab. does not operate the rudder either - whats going on ? Stabilisation is working but you cant control the rudder but knock it off and theres the rudder again.

In short I did the following :

updated Open Tx ( i know not strictly neccesary )

updated firmware in QX7 DJT modules

Updated firmware in both receivers

updated sdcard contents

All working great with the above lack of rudder in stab. mode on both receivers and both my X6R receivers are ok once the firmware was updated . I can even see it on the display as i waggle the rudder about but nothing happens Anyone any ideas should I be doing it another way without the LUA script , been at it all afternoon and cant get a result . If no joy I might break out the AR636 sitting in spares box and use that instead .

Is there anything not done that i've missed , setting these up in quick mode is usually dead simple . As an aside everything is warm and all connections are all good otherwise it would'nt work in none stab. mode .

I would be pleased if some one said " what a plonker you have not ticked box X , it will work then " so over to you guys .

Brian, I may well be talking rubbish but I use a couple of S series Rxs albeit with FrOs not OpenTx and you have to do a toggle after setting stabilisation directions and gains. With my Horus X10 Express and the channel setting suggested I need to toggle Ch12 3 times in 3seconds and then move all sticks and switches operating channels 1 to 6 to their limits. Remove power to both Tx and Rx and when you switch back on all should be good. Hope this helps and is not a red herring,

David

I upgraded one of my older models from an X8 to an S8 and the the servos glitched even without stab enabled, but worse when stab was enabled. It seemed to centre around one aileron servo, but upset all the servos, like noise, but the one aileron servo more than the others. Put the X8 back no issues. Turned out that the S8 really didn't like that one servo, replaced it and all was rosy. Bottom line could it be the rudder servo?

Cheers

Danny

I've just dug out my SR6 for my latest build.Four hours of upgrading/downgrading for a match to get a bind.Frsky continue to make it difficult.I will keep an eye open for this issue when my BEC arrives and I begin testing in earnest. I have less trouble setting up flight controllers with OSD,RTH and all the other modes of flight they offer than messing with my Taranis and Frsky receivers. I haven't even began the ACCST /ACCESS woes as yet.Apparently the new generation of ACCESS RX's are flash able to run on ACCST. I wonder how many attempts with the STK and various .frk files and module updates that will take?

On the positive side the LAU script for the SR6 is a welcome help ,an improvement from the last time I set up the SR6 .

I understand the benefits of firmware upgrades and hardware.But only ever having owned a Taranis radio in my short flying career (3years). I need to ask are all radio systems such a PITA?

Oh I do feel better getting that off my chest.😁

No Bob they are not . I didn't have a problem updating the firmware it was my brain forgetting an important step . My beaf is the Frsky website I couldn't at first find the QX7 ACCST firmware , ( tiny more button) and then when I did my X6R updates no one mentioned you use the X8R firmware . When I worked with software it was usually backwardly compatible so that you didn't immediately have to go round all the remotes and upgrade because they didn't work . After spending a day chasing my own tail Dave Holland put me right and I suppose all firmware is up to date which it wouldn't have been otherwise. I still have problem of the original S6R being slow and hesitant but at least I can now remember how to update firmware and setup correctly and if that doesn't help it can take one last flight into the waste paper bin !

So pleased that worked, Brian. It's given me a warm and fuzzy glow that I have helped a fellow modellerangelwink.

I changed to FrSky about a year ago after many years with Spektrum (completely reliable, just fancied a bit of bling). I haven't updated any firmware on the basis that it aint broke so I don't need to fix it. All the tales of woe seem to come from trying to get the upgrades to work together. My Horus works beautifully with FrOs, which does everything, and more, that I need and is a pleasure to fly with. It was a bit of a learning curve but T9 Hobbysport were so helpful and just a phone call or email away. I am surprised when folks complain Frsky is a PITA, I am no tech wizard but not stupid (at least I don't think am) but there does seem a tendency to over complicate things. Just my take on it.

David

That was my approach David.Leave the firmware alone.But then you buy and add another rx with F/W that's already been through several revisions since you last purchased one.For that reason I attempted to find a R9Mmini ACCST for a sub 250g wing.Rare as rocking horse stuff.I spend my days updating F/W being an ATM engineer.ATM's carry devices from several manufactures from around the world designed for all currencies.If Frsky were in that business the appalling documentation and customer support would lead to a cashless society in three months.