Do you remember - Pterodactyl ornithopter

DIGGER

Do you remember the Pterodactyl ornithopter, I think it was sold by Hobbyking? I've just seen a video of it, did it fly that we'll ? It looked a fun thing and I was wondering if it's still about, I would love one. If you have one in the attic I'm interested. Who remembers them?

Advert

Thanks for your replies Nigel, the video you posted was the one that got me interested in this model. Andy that's a nice looking model , was it a scratch build.? Peter I've sent a pm. Anyone else had ago at doing an ornithopter? How does it work, it's not just a case of flapping it's wings .

I think that modern science accepts that small pterosaurs behaved very much like modern bats in terms of flying, possibly even evolving warm blood. However, fossils of huge flying reptiles that had a wingspan as big as a light aircraft have been found, and how they managed to operate is not clearly understood at all. Wasn't an RC model constructed of a flying reptile for one of David Attenborough's excellent programmes many years ago?

The program was one of a series called !" Walking with dinosaurs ". The episode about pterosaurs came to the conclusion that the largest ones were for the most part soarers and could travel large parts of the planet much like the Albatross does today. When on the ground they would need access to a take off point like a runway into wind or a high cliff from which to launch.

Bones of the largest found in Canada show it would have had a span of 30 meters and on the ground stood as tall as a Giraffe . Now a model of that could put the wind up some on the slope.devil