Hi all new to RC flying

Lee Morton

Hi everyone. I’m new to the hobby of Rc plane flying. I’ve previously flew quadcopters and recently got a little 3 channel trainer from amazon for £75. Wanted to get into something a little bigger with a bit more power. Been searching online and thinking of going for the carbon cub s2. Seems like a very good beginner friendly plane. Just after some advice on is it best to buy the RTF version or buy it without the transmitter and buy my own? If so any advice is very much appreciated! Thanks all.

The Durafly Tundra V2 is an excellent beginners model, whicyh is similar to the carbon cub.

Great at slow flying, takes the cheap 3s 2200 mah lipo, has huge forgiving wheels and sprung undercarriage etc. and not silly money.

Available via HobbyKing.

If I was starting again today, thats what I would get.

Welcome to our wonderful hobby!

I helped a mate get started in power flying recently after earlier in the year getting him into flying a 1m dlg glider. He bought the Carbon Cub but used the Spektrum transmitter he already had. I knew that he wanted to progress to a larger Cub once he had built his confidence so suggested he didn’t bother with the flaps that cost a little extra. This was on the basis that the model would likely land very easily in a small area without the added channel to think about. It certainly does.
The Cub has three flying modes by virtue of the Safe gyro assisted receiver set up. I haven’t read up about it as it isn’t my thing, but for my mate it has certainly proved its worth. In beginner mode he was flying solo almost immediately and after half a dozen flights he switched to intermediate mode. Weather and Covid has postponed further progress but I expect he will be flying in the unassisted mode after a dozen or so more flights.

value for money? Well I bought myself an artf Acrowot as an into to electric flying not long before his purchase. It’s simple, toy like, but a lot of fun to fly helping me to build stick confidence between flying my large ic models. The cub is a more polished product with the addition of the Safe feature, so although pricey worth the money imho. I have seen the other recommended models from above fly and they look just as good, each having those huge wheels that make take offs and landing a joy.

I've seen the Tundra and Timber flying at our club, and their owners seem well pleased with them.

One thing I would say about buying the RTF version (with transmitter) of any model is check the specification of the transmitter. I'm vaguely aware (not a Spektrum user myself) that some of them come with a very basic transmitter that only has one model memory. If you plan to gradually get more models, it might pay you to get a more-capable transmitter from the outset, so that it can handle more than one model without having to reprogram it every time you want to fly a different model.

Carbon Cub is fine for learning to fly on. Ive taught quiye a few to fly using the Century Riot, flies docile but can be made a bit more exciting later on.

The best investment you can make at the moment thoigh in my opinion is to check out some of the local clubs. Usually very helpful and usually free tuition too.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 28/12/2020 22:18:50

All of the above are excellent. . However being a recent beginner and experienced most of the above I would recommend them as a second plane and something like this as a first plane **LINK**

The advantages are that it is a lot more robust, has a rear facing prop (so hard to break on landing) and has no landing gear to damage. It is easy to see and costs a lot less (less than half of most of the above) so even if you end up writing one-off you still will be quids in. Being a glider it has fairly forgiving flight characteristics. Another similar, very good aircraft is **LINK**

In terms of radio I would be guided by those at your club as they can make the biggest difference in terms of how you progress. All things being equal the stand out radio in terms of value for many these days, providing you are very technically inclined and have help readily available is probably

radiomaster-t16s-hall-gimbal-transmitter >**LINK**

Edited By conrad taggart on 28/12/2020 22:56:03