New radio control advice please

Lee Morton

Hello all, I’m quite new to the hobby and am on my second plane I recently got which is a carbon cub 2. It came RTF with the Spektrum DXS controller DSMX 2.4GHz. Was thinking of replacing this eventually but wanted some advice on best controller to buy that would be suitable as well for future planes I may buy. Also thinking of installing the flaps on my carbon cub and have read a lot about needing a new controller with more channels. I could be completely wrong of course but thanks in advance for any advice!

Advert

Posted by Lee Morton on 29/12/2020 08:49:15:

Hello all, I’m quite new to the hobby and am on my second plane I recently got which is a carbon cub 2. It came RTF with the Spektrum DXS controller DSMX 2.4GHz. Was thinking of replacing this eventually but wanted some advice on best controller to buy that would be suitable as well for future planes I may buy. Also thinking of installing the flaps on my carbon cub and have read a lot about needing a new controller with more channels. I could be completely wrong of course but thanks in advance for any advice!

The spektrum DSX appears to be a 7 channel transmitter so should be capable of handling flaps but if it doesn't have a 3 position toggle switch you are limited to flaps on or off rather than a wider selection. If the current receiver only has 4 channels you will need to upgrade it.

The biggest disadvantage of the DSX is the lack of programmability. If you want to upgrade the transmitter, a Spektrum DX6 would be a good place to start. I believe that Al's Hobbies do a transmitter exchange scheme for people wishing to upgrade.

As you only have 1 model and 1 rx to replace you might do well to look into other brands of radio as well.

Personally, i am a fan of the futaba gear and would not trust my models to anything else. I have spektrum gear for my electric heli's and its just not been as reliable or well made in my experience. I have a very old FF9 on 35mhz and slightly less old 8J on 2.4ghz. Both are used almost every weekend when weather/lockdown permit.

Hitec used to make some good stuff but i think they stopped? not sure but it might be worth investigating.

Hi Lee and welcome.

If you ask 10 people on here about which radio gear to buy, you will get 11 options. crook

If you are not particularly into computer programming I would advise one of the established manufacturers. Every system has its pros and cons. I use Futaba myself as I have used it for many years with no major problems. Others have similar experience with Spektrum, although a while back it did have its problems. If you are happy with the Spektrum you are using and if Al's Hobbies are doing an upgrade deal, that might be your best (most economical) option.

If you are a member of a club ask the experienced flyers for their input on what you require. If you want to fly sport then 6 maybe 7 channels could be enough for you. Scale, or competition flying you would probably need more.