LiPo Balance Connectors

Anyone got their head around the balance leads fitted to many LiPo packs these days....???

Every pack seems to be the same but is subtley different in catches or alignment pins & they don't mate...there seems to JST XHs & JST EHs plus many different interfaces to the balancers themselves.....I can't make much sense of it at all.

I've just ordered some connectors & leads from BRC Hobbies that I THINK are correct but I'm very confused. Describinmg it over the phone isn't easy either...."...its a white 5 pin plug with some catches...." "Yeah, they all are...which one have you got" seems to sum it up.....

Anyone got a Numpties Guide I could follow???

Advert

Yeah, very irritating subject this, it seems simple to me, it's a customer loyalty thing, the balancer leads ONLY fit balancers/batteries of the same type....so if you have Flightpowe batteries, you have to buy a flightpower balancer, if you buy a different make of battery....it won't balance it.....rubbish or what?

• 2 months later...
hi steve I had the same problem I got a JP EnErg balancer from BRC Hobbies then found the balancer lead does not fit Extreme 15 Batteries.So I contacted BRC and they seem as confused as the rest of us,but they sent me a new lead,needless to say it was the wrong one. I have now spent several hours and days trying to phone them on there new tele number But its like the Mary Celeste there aint no one there.brian

Hi Guys

Ref Scotts comment about different makes of balancer and Batteries

There is a way around this I have a Flight power V-Balancer and for example I have purchased a 3 cell Electrolite Maxilife lipo with a 4 pin socket - will it fit the flight power adapters - of course not!

However it plugs directly into the first 4 pins of the main socket of the balancer pefectly - No need for a adapter lead

As long as the pin spacing is the same and you keep black balancing lead on the battery to the black lead on the balancer ie pin 1 it will work perfectly

That is just one example - I have done this with other makes too Some types may need the lugs trimming

At the end of the day it is only an adapter
I cant comment on other makes of Balancer but I presume the principle will be the same

Regards Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, hence I'm not convinced it's that simple.....I have to say...I'm not even that convinced by balancing. Iv'e found [looking at the balance LED's, mine are never improved by the balancer....and only use it periodically now to check.....havn't had one yet that's miles out] that slow charging and only flying to 80% of pack capacity keeps them in good shape. Now I'm not saying don't balance....but I think the best Lipo care system is gently, gently.

Yes Scott, I tend to agree with you.
I balance most of mine only occasionaly, and even though the odd cell appears slightly out, and the balancer does its stuff, next time, they may well be the same again anyway. I guess we are taking a certain preventative action here though, as by allowing the imbalance to develop to a more serious level, is when problems could occur.
I admit to not bothering at all with one or two small 2s packs, which only ever get used for very low current drain, and then are topped up as needed.

Hi Scott

Im sorry to hear that you have had some problems. There must be something wrong somewhere! There should not be a problem I have taken several photos of the connections with 3 different makes of battery if you wish you can email me and I will by return gladly email the photos to you

Regads Alan

Scott, I too agree with you & Timbo about the balance issue....if you consistantly run 'em down to the wire then thats when problems seem to occur....run them sensibly & everything seems OK....

I have a Hyperion balancer & I tend to find that when I use it to charge up my pack I get less duration....it also has a strange habit of showing no lights (light on indicating which cell its trying to balance) & then lighting all three LEDs at once!!! Wots all that about then.....!!!

I shall have to read the instructions I suppose but from memory it flashes a LED to show a particular cell is being discharged at low rate, solid (ie no flashes) means discharge at a high(er) rate & theres a LED for each cell so I get cell 1 flashing, cell 2 solid. cell 3 nothing & then various combinations including all three LEDs lit!!! I suppose it might mean all three cells have sneaked above 4.2volts but the charge display will probably show 11.984V or something......

Its not a problem it just seems a bit odd!!!!

Good article by Dave Ashby on balancers and li-po charging.Bought the Tornado one by Overlander which,as Dave says,comes supplied with a very complete pack of leads all for under £20.I have decided to stick with their Poly Pro series as they are my most expensive packs!
I can just squeeze a 2500Ah 3s into my Micro Show Flyer and after several flights now the three Led's' before and after charging, glow without a flicker thus saving another trip to the Bank of England!
I would recommend the Tornado to anyone as it is simple to operate with all charging leads supplied.As a Footnote I have several Kokam Li-po's which do not come with a balance plug. Has anybody had any problems with Kokam's that have had a fair bit of use?

My oldest packs are Kokam 2000s 3S at 15C - approx 4 years I guess.
They are well used at about 42A ( paralled ) right up until about 3 months ago, maybe 70+ cycles or so/...and although they expectedly do not perform as well as they used to, they still get up to 12.4V and take around 1600 m/a after a full run. No balancer on these of course, way before all this namby pamby balancing malarky :)
I am not currently using Kokams, as others of equal / better quality are available at lower cost, but back then they were the mutts nuts.

I just read David Ashby review in August RCM&E but surprised no mention of Thunder Power. I recently bought a Thunder Power balancer but I think it only fits their Lipos. I have thought of changing the balance connectors on non TP lipos to Thunder Power, but concerned about getting it wrong. Are adaptor leads available for Thunder Power to other connectors? Graham

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

The problem carries through to the Li-po protector units which are installed between the Li-po and the receiver. I recently purchased a couple of these units from 'Galaxy' and found that the pin configuration is not compatable with any of my Li-po's.Has anybody else come across this problem? Found any solution? I agree that it is about time the manufacturers put their heads together and standardised on the plug issue for everybodys interest.