Posted by Erfolg on 16/01/2021 15:53:19:

Wasn't the Ark Royal built at Cammell Lairds on the Wirral?

If so, many years ago I used to visit an engineering company that pictures of the ship, under construction towering over the nearby housing.

I may have been on the Ark Royal, I assume on Navy Day, where many of the then Fleet open to the public. If it was the Arc Royal or the Eagle or not, they certainly were incredible impressive. It would not surprise me if the current carriers are not much bigger, say 10?

I used to work with a chap from Liverpool on Ironbridge power station. He was always talking about his days at Cammel Laird, one of the young locals asked what they made there he replied coats, have you never heard of Cammal laird coats.

There was also an aircraft carrier named Hermes. As with Ken I have had good service from Hermes, must be they are happy working for less money up here, as there was a case last week of a disgruntled delivery driver in Essex who packed in after two days because he did not get paid loading time .

Advert

The main issue that I've had with My Hermes has been that their tracking is often complete fantasy. At the moment that isn't critical because of course we are always in, but in more normal time, if the tracking is showing that a parcel is out for delivery and someone stays in to take that delivery then that isn't good. If you have a tracking system -which the customer is paying fir - it should work.

The point made earlier about the service being depended on the local delivery crew is correct. We've tended to have three Hermes delivery drivers, two of them are fine, the third is a right miserable s-&-s who always has something to complain about and sometimes rolls up in the evening, even as late as 7pm.

Parcelforce's tracking is hit and miss as well, which I've posted about before. These are not free services, the customer is paying for them.

DPD's tracking is excellent, with real time display of the driver location and a one hour slot that they don;t miss.

I've used Hermes a lot and although one recipient said the item was thrown over his front garden hedge, never had an item go missing.

My biggest complaint though - and I'm not alone here, this can be a 'thing' with Hermes - is receiving an email saying that the item exceeds their weight limit and a surcharge is payable before it can complete its journey. This has happened twice and in both cases I knew the item didn't exceed weight limits as I always weigh the parcel before posting.

Now, when I send a larger item, I take a picture of it against a tape measure and on the scales as proof of dimensions and weight.

Hermes service is patch of then but not good hear.

Lad ordered 2 seperatly items from Amazon, both packages coming via Hermes, on the same van. One was delivered all ok, the second never turned up.

Excuse was the e condition package, on the same van, to the same address was, wait for it, the second package address was Not Found! What ??

Anyways Amazon sent 2 new items out free of charge as well as a gift voucher!

Keep it up Hermes, your service is great !

Hermes tracking system says a delivery attempt will be made this afternoon between 1 and 5pm.

The wife will be on stag looking thru the window that the use the knocker sign is in. This window is by the front door.

An acid test, will they turn up, will they knock the door, we shall see.

Hermes just delivered the package in good condition and dry.

The driver gave a good knock on the door which I heard and the wife felt! Well nearly felt😊.

I asked if he was the one who delivered the other day ?

No he said first time at this address. I have seem the particular vehicle involved in parcel delivery before in the village.

So for today's delivery, 100 per cent satisfaction.

I will e mail the CEO with today's good news, but what went wrong with the solarfilm delivery ?

Different driver probably.