America's Cup

Dale Bradly

Well I'm stoked, got the outcome I wanted.

I'm sure there's plenty of beers flowing tonight.

There's unsubstantiated rumours around that UK will provide the next challenger of record and/or host an America's Cup related event in the near future, so fingers crossed for you guys.

Advert

Just managed to avoid looking at this post before watching today's race on YouTube as I have been every morning for the past few days.  It just shows, the faster boat won but Luna Rossa showed some great match racing tactics to slow them down but it wasn't enough.  Great start for the Kiwis this morning and they were able to tack onto port immediately after the start and got the header they needed to give them the lift once they were back on starboard.  After that, barring a big failure (as team USA suffered), it was done and dusted.

I do feel the 8th race was a considerable fluke for the Kiwis to win because both boats  fell off the foils in wind holes.  It's just that the Italians fell into a bigger one.  There is an upper wind limit, perhaps here should be a lower one, too.  Hanging around waiting for the wind to settle is a pain (we've spent a few hours slopping about hove to in the middle of the sea waiting in the past) but it's better than a race ending up a lottery. 

Anyway, congratulations to the Kiwis.  It's been a great series and a rare chance to see some of my former sport on the media.  Almost no mention in the UK media, however.

Geoff

2 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Anyway, congratulations to the Kiwis.  It's been a great series and a rare chance to see some of my former sport on the media.  Almost no mention in the UK media, however.

Geoff

Typical of the UK media, if it’s not a mainstream sport, football, rugby, cricket then you really have to search hard to find up to date information.

How true. I've been watching Paris-Nice and the Tirano-Adriatica stage races on Eurosport this past week as well but, again, no mention at all in the UK media.  The penalty of being interested in a minority sport/activity (like aeromodelling!) I suppose.

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

...I do feel the 8th race was a considerable fluke for the Kiwis to win because both boats  fell off the foils in wind holes.  It's just that the Italians fell into a bigger one.  There is an upper wind limit, perhaps here should be a lower one, too.  Hanging around waiting for the wind to settle is a pain (we've spent a few hours slopping about hove to in the middle of the sea waiting in the past) but it's better than a race ending up a lottery. 

There is a lower limit - 7 or 8 knots I seem to remember, a measured average just before the start - but if it softens during the race there is nothing they can do unless both boats get stranded and they abandon. I suspect that unpredictable races in low winds like #8 are rather popular with the organisers though, as they are more exciting for the viewer (though maybe less satisfying for the sailing officianados). Personally I enjoyed the whole thing and am glad the Italians didn't win - apparently they would have returned the Cup to non-foiling "furniture racing" if they had.