America's Cup

Dale Bradly

We got any followers of this on the forum?

While I'm a NZ'er and hope we successfully defend the Cup come March, if we lose it overseas, I hope to the UK.

The turnaround that INEOS Team UK has made since the ACWS pre Christmas has made to their boat, and now defeating the Italians and Americans in both light and strong winds, you guys should be most proud and backing the team.

The racing is spectacular through the Prada Cup, the science and tech is awesome to watch.

Comments from the UK? (or any Italians or Americans welcome!)

Advert

Yes avid follower here, the coverage on U tube is awesome, Ineos turnaround not far short of a miracle, the Americans looked visibly shocked yesterday, what a shame. cool

Great entertainment but I have to say spectacular as these boats are although somewhat slower some of the old races especially in the 12M I've been watching have been a lot more exciting and involving to watch but aperciate they won't have the visual appeal to the non sailboat racers.

I remember when the Moth's first started foiling, all before were instantly obsolete, I thought about getting one but the cost was horrendous so didn't, wish I had now!

Cheers!

I certainly am. My major sport for years was dinghy racing and the history of the America's Cup has always interested me. Though I much prefer fleet racing to match racing. The latter is a very rare branch sport only used for the Cup but is probably all the general public knows aboit sailing.

I wasn't very enamoured of the catamaran era but these monoll foils are something else. I should think we rarely exceeded 10kts on a good spinaker planing reach with our Scorpion but it felt like flying, what it must be like sailing the current yachts I can't imagine. I have a picture of the J class Endeavour and one of the 12metres Sovereign racing l'Esprit d'Equip 2 to windward on my workshop wall. Much prefer the 12 metre era but things move on.

After all sailing is actually horizontal flying using fabric aerofoils Peter Scott, the naturalist, was a competitive glider pilot and invented the trapeze for dinghy sailing in International 14s.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 17/01/2021 11:29:44

I've just spent a few happy hours watching this weekend's races and ejoyed Ben Ainslie and his crew's successes as well as American Magic's poor boat handling that turned probable victory into a capsize (fortunately without injury to the crew).

But the most annoying thing was seeing crowds enjoying the spectacle close together and not a mask in sight. Jealous? You bet!

The rules have changed a lot since the early days of the competition when yachts were required to be crewed by nationals of the challenging club (ie British in those days). Now the New York yacht Club have hired a Kiwi to steer their yacht. Moreover the boat and all equipment was supposed to originate in the home country but I noticed Britannia was using North Sails, which I'm almost sure are US manufactured. Also the challenger was required to sail to the venue (ie across the Atlantic) which was something of a disadvantage but that changed a while back fortunately.

Thanks for reminding me about this. As it gets zero reporting in the media I'd totally forgotten about it. Makes a pleasant change from reports about the pandemic and lockdown.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 17/01/2021 20:35:59

Posted by Geoff S on 17/01/2021 20:35:19:

American Magic's poor boat handling that turned probable victory into a capsize.

It gets zero reporting in the media.

That's touch hard on the US team considering the leeward running backstay jammed on, normally released by a person but that's not necessarily the case here.

Typical UK media coverage, we're actually good at something, even potential world beaters and yet nothing, pretty much the same in the Olympics, more medals in sailing than anything else yet complete silence, shame on you especially the BBC!

Well it's considered a posh person's sport, I guess. They obviously have never seen our first sailing club on a green reservoir in Sutton-in-Ashfield that was so polluted you kept your mouth firmly shut in the event of a capsize and buying new sails considered tantamount to cheating We provided some entertainment to the hospital across the road though.

I think if we'd capsized because I hadn;'t uncleated the main sheet properly it would be down to poor boat handling either by maintenance or on the water. Not freeing off a backstay is an error one way or another. They are fantastic boats though. I've crewed a 54' ferro-cement ketch 2 handed with 40kts of wind across the deck but we were making about 6 kts to windward not 30.

Geoff

I came up through dinghy sailing, owned a Flying Dutchman at one time. However I haven't bothered to watch any racing until last night. USA way out ahead and "bang". A Spectacular capsize and apparently a lot of damage. A question of when they'll be back on the water. They need to be ready by Wednesday for measuring if to race next weekend - unlikely.

Someone else mentioned -

North Sails (NZ) Ltd
https://www.nzmarine.com/directory/business/north-sails

Pandemic? Physical distancing - what's that? This is New Zealand.....

I was lucky enough to get out on the water on Sat and watched the two races that day. Spectacular on the water to really appreciate the speed. Of course the TV coverage is better to actually see what is going on though.

Yes major problems for American Magic at this point, i mean their boat did sink! Although heartening to see the support coming from all corners to assist with getting repaired and expected back on the water in 10 days. Some long days (and nights) ahead for the team get get repaired.

Yes - absorbing every minute of this spectacle. Dinghy racing is the passion that I stopped rc modelling to focus on 40 years ago and remains my main interest, but I've finally got round to modelling again which is great.

There are so many similarities between sailing and flying, especially on this modern foiling craft. Dale you're very lucky to be there on the spot (and able to enjoy it without restriction). I would encourage others to search for Prada Cup on youtube to follow the races. The sailing is spectacular and great commentary helps non sailors absorb.

Our team are unbeaten so far after an incredible rework of the boat since a poor showing in a pre xmas regatta. ....Enjoy.

Posted by FlyinFlynn on 18/01/2021 10:04:36:
Posted by Dale Bradly on 18/01/2021 06:48:11:

Some long days (and nights) ahead for the team get get repaired.

Nah....quick trip to Halfords for a couple of Isopon GF repair kits....a couple of metres of chop strand mat and the jobs a good'un!

Well actually you aren't all that wrong. Apparently the major is getting all the electronics back in and working.

Electronics???? What !!! And you all thought this was sailing, where the feel of the wind on your ears or face gave you the course to steer. NO. That was REAL sailing, not the stuff done today.

Indeed . I noticed the iPads everyone seemed to be using on board, presumably for weather and other data. I feel the electronics diminishes the sport just as radio diminishes big cycle races.

We usually sailed on inland reservoirs but the nationals every year were held off shore because of the numbers (fleets of 80 to 100+) racibg. I used to study the tidal atlasses in an attempt to decide which side of the beat to go for - not that it did me much good. We were definitely middle of the fleet racers but enjoyed it greatly, though terrified at times. We tacked on the shifts but I'm sure that when my wife got tired on one tack she'd ease the jib sheet a bit so I though we'd been headed and tack

Not sure I'd enjoy the beat/run courses they sail now. The triangular courses were fun with a couple of fast reached with a gube at one mark but I suppose the run is more tactical and certainly trickier in a slower dinghy where a more direct course is faster. It's certainly hairier in a Laser.

Geoff

Posted by Dale Bradly on 23/01/2021 09:01:32:

Final data revealed Team UK had managed a top speed of 50.29 knots during the race, with Luna Rossa not far behind with a best of 49.35.

!!!!!!!

Yeah, I noticed that in real time - they broke 50 when accelerating just after at the top mark when tacking and bearing away. Dean Barker knows all about that effect...

Awesome race though, especially the final cross with Spithall’s Hollywood protest! Ineos did brilliantly considering the technical issues they had just beforehand that meant they were compromised on setup. Such a shame for the overall spectacle that AM cannot race at present though. Apparently they will be back on the water by Wed, fingers crossed. If they can get it repaired and address their crew comma issues I think they can beat LR and setup an awesome match with the Brits...

Edited By MattyB on 23/01/2021 12:05:09

Just watched this latest race and it looks like Ben Ainslie's team are well on course to be the challengers for the Ameica's Cup itself against Team NZ. It was a great race with lots of lead changes which is quite rare in AC match racing in the past.

I thought the last leg was espeicially interesting, particularly the port/starboard incidence and the subsequent rejected protest by Luna Rossa. In fact I think Ineos could have counter protested because Luna Rossa bore away when she should have held her course (unlike windward/leeward incidents where, after the start, the leeward boat is permitted to sail has high as she likes and even make contact). They must have lost out by losing speed by bearing away as they ended up 33 seconds down on the line.

I knew someone wh'd had an outing in a 12 metre America's Cup Yacht. He said the difference in apparent wind between down and upwind was remarkable but that's probably not the case with these foilers. Thy're close hauled everywhere because they go so fast the apparent wind is always way forward - almost like an ice yacht. They're fantastic.

Will the next AC be held on the original course round the Isle of Wight? Probably not, but it may well be held somewhere off the s coast of England

Geoff

What puzzles me is what caused that huge hole.in the port bow. The yacht didn't hit anything but the water but just before the actual capsize she was completely clear of the water (including the leeward/port foil) so it seems there was sufficient force when she hit a wave to cave in the hull. Just shows how lightly constructed the AC75s are. All performance sailing vessels are ideally light at the ends and any weight concentrated near the centre. In fact IIRC Finn Olympic single handers are not only measured for weight but moment weight, too.

I hope American Magic gets repaired but I'm rooting for Luna Rossa to be the other yacht to meet Brittania in the Prada Cup semis.

Geoff