America's Cup

Dale Bradly

Posted by Geoff S on 25/01/2021 17:40:32:

What puzzles me is what caused that huge hole.in the port bow. The yacht didn't hit anything but the water but just before the actual capsize she was completely clear of the water (including the leeward/port foil) so it seems there was sufficient force when she hit a wave to cave in the hull. Just shows how lightly constructed the AC75s are. All performance sailing vessels are ideally light at the ends and any weight concentrated near the centre. In fact IIRC Finn Olympic single handers are not only measured for weight but moment weight, too.

According to Terry Hutchinson it was the transverse internal structure of the boat "guillotining" the hull when it came down on it's side. Initial reports were that is was a battery for the cant arms coming loose and creating the hole, but we will probably never know for sure.

Posted by Geoff S on 25/01/2021 17:40:32:

I hope American Magic gets repaired but I'm rooting for Luna Rossa to be the other yacht to meet Brittania in the Prada Cup semis.

Is that because they seem incapable of working out 2 helms is a bad idea, thus almost guaranteeing the Brits a vistory as long as our boat stays reliable?!!

Edited By MattyB on 25/01/2021 17:47:07

Advert

I don't know about that. I've sat on protest committees and they're all like that - though I admit a protest in a club environment is a bit different from one involving billionaires.

However, in this case, it was the right decision ... and I'm quite unbiassed!

Geoff

I'm told that the umpires get an aerial view of the situation and noticed that Lunar Rosso altered course out of wind so that they got closer to Britannia. Had they held their course, there would not have been any infringement of their 5 mtr zone. That's why they ruled the protest out. Sneaky or just trying to slow down?

The umpires probably rely more on the GPS information coming in than anything else, you can see it displayed on their screens in a lot of the shots.

Not really sneaky at all, Luna Rossa certainly did a big bear away coming into the cross but it wouldn't have been for that reason as within the rules that is perfectly OK and permissible.

Luna Rossa can sail whatever course she likes,

As this is a model site not a sailing site we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then but there isn't even a rule that says you have to hail starboard, they may well also be racing under match racing modified rules where aggressive dial ups and dial downs are all part of the game.

We'll probably see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future races, I certainly hope so and I'm definitely expecting to see a lot of it from Team New Zealand.

Elbows out lads! cool.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 27/01/2021 09:31:54:

The umpires probably rely more on the GPS information coming in than anything else, you can see it displayed on their screens in a lot of the shots.

If you watch it on Virtual Eye they were never that close; 29-30m estimated, and a boat length is ~23m. I am not a rules expert by any means but the overwhelming consensus from those who are seems to be this was Spithill “doing a Hollywood”.

I watched a YouTube video describing the rules concerning the foils and was surprised to learn that they have adjustable 'elevators' so I guess they can adjust the lift according to the conditions.

There's also some talk about the hole in Patriot's hull being caused by a wayward battery but no-one seems too sure.

I'm also curious why the 'grinders' work with their arms rather than their legs like cyclists because they have a lot more muscle there. It's been done before.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 27/01/2021 22:30:46:

I'm also curious why the 'grinders' work with their arms rather than their legs like cyclists because they have a lot more muscle there. It's been done before.

Geoff

I've wondered that too. It was New Zealand that introduced that (pedalling) and from memory they used cyclists as crew.

Posted by Geoff S on 27/01/2021 22:30:46:

...There's also some talk about the hole in Patriot's hull being caused by a wayward battery but no-one seems too sure.

According to Terry Hutchinson the skipper the hole was caused by the internal transverse structure punching through the relatively thin skin when the boat smashed down from on high. Re: the grinders, it is purely a matter of the rules agreed this time - both the challenger (LR) and holder (ETNZ) wanted to return to traditional grinding after NZ famously used cycles last time around, so that’s what is mandated.

Edited By MattyB on 27/01/2021 23:21:51

I wouldn't necessarily believe what Terry Hutchihson says. When it comes to things like that in AC racing there's a lot of terminological inexactitudes bandied about for various reasons. I almost think it's a requirement

I've never owned a development boat. All ours were one-designs (in the case of the Laser very strict) but variations were permitted so there were rule disputes at times at national level but, at the club, nobody bothered much.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Not looking too good for Britannia against Luna Rosa.  Lost all 4 races last weekend - in fact more like thrashed by a good margin.  Managed a win at last in today's second race but not by a huge margin.  They at least got an equal start after totally messing up the first start and got caught out barging at the committee boat end and incurred a penalty, which didn't help.  You don't expect such an experienced sailor to make such an elementary mistake and get caught out like that. 

So it's 5 to 1 in the race to be the first to 7 wins.  Ainslie's done it before but it doesn't look likely at the moment. He needs to win 2 out of 2 tomorrow.

Geoff

The biggest problem is the forecast - it’s right in Luna Rossa’s sweet spot tonight, though if Ineos can get through that it looks better for them on Monday and Tuesday...

093A9667-E182-457A-AC5D-D59EB50525D1.jpeg

I am trying to keep the faith, but if Sir Ben can guide them out of this one it will truly be his greatest comeback in what is a pretty long list...!

Edited by MattyB

I was most pleased to see Britannia's success yesterday, if nothing further at least it won't be the indignity of 7-0. But I still hope for more. 

Over here (NZ) i seem to detect a bit of a general feeling of wishing the UK more success because we love an underdog story, and moreso because we love to hate Jimmy Spithill.

Geoff, there is another 2 races today, (about 3 hours after the timestamp of this post). THis could of course mean it finishes today, but i hope not for UK's sake!

Unfortunately conditions were about the worst they could have been for Ineos (right at the bottom end of the wind range), and the Italians just walked away from them in both races after decent starts. Really disappointing, but this is the America’s Cup - the fastest boat always wins, even if you do have one of the very best sailing teams on the water.

Pony up Sir Jim ?, it’s time to become the Challenger of Record and see if that helps us develop the fastest boat!

Edited by MattyB

Ineos had a couple of good starts but Luna Rosa is definitely faster in the lighter winds.  I thought Ineos's port tack crossing just below the line was a bit dodgy and Luna Rosa seemed to bear away to pass under the stern but, surprisingly, there was no protest.  Perhaps they bore away to avoid crossing early (and failed as it happened).

Very sad that Ineos lost - more so by such a huge margin.  After the last race in the round-robin when the lead changed 9 times I was hoping for some exciting racing but it wasn't to be. In typical America's Cup style once one yacht gets ahead that's it.  That's the reason I much prefer fleet racing - a lot more variety. 

Geoff