Film over tissue

Jeffrey Hall

It can be difficult to strip tissue dry without ruining a balsa structure. I have achieved this by making up a large polythene bag out of film backing and putting the airframe and several layers of kitchen tissue soaked till dripping in cellulose thinners all in the bag together and sealing it up. This will soften the dope assuming it was a solvent based dope and not a water based type. The tissue should just slide off after about an hour or so of this treatment.

A.

Yes, no problem.

The wings of my RelaxE were covered with tissue, given a single coat of thinned dope then covered with Solarfilm.

The tissue gives more torsional stiffness than film alone, the film protects against hanger rash & punctures. Together I think it's a lot torsionaly stiffer than the sum of the two covering materials for very little extra weight.

RelaxE converted to brushless

I was thinking I could tear off the tissue but not worry about the bits left stuck to the balsa. However after Pat's comments I think I will go for his method. I had already stripped the fuselage so that can be film covered in the normal way. I will probably start by covering the tailplane (less work to redo if I run into trouble).

Thanks for your replies.

I used an iron to apply & shrink the film. In fact after the initial shrinking process I deliberately went over each between rib area and ensured that the film had stuck to the tissue in order to get the strongest torsional stiffness. This also gives the finish a slight texture taking away some of the, IMO, unsightly over-glossy plastic look.

Note that the black covered spar to LE area is sheet covered (including the bumpy looking outer sections) but the lower wing surface is completely un-sheeted.
The wings of ASK 14 motor glider in my avatar is also covered with Solarfilm over tissue although it has a full "D" box LE.