Repairing Futaba tx.

Braddock, VC

Back in the day (1990s) I was given a sanwa infinity system, I used to have an old land rover and I put the tx on the roof, forgot about it and drove off. My insurers were very sympathetic as I hadn't noticed until I got home, retraced my steps but never found the tx. Insurers pay out bought me a futaba ff8, I put this on the bonnet and just started to drive down our road when youngest warned me about the tx, When I braked it shot off the bonnet and hit the kerb and was knackered, payout bought me a ff9, driving back from the field I must have left it on the roof and the club sec followed me home and handed it to me, the back of the case had come apart and knocked off the module pcb, got a 10 cg and the same thing happened to this one except the front got knocked about and wrecked both the gimbals. 

I got a 14sg this time and, as in all the previous incidents, the insurers didn't want the wrecked sets. So they were put in the cupboard, why I don't know.

During the lockdown I came upon them and wondered if I could do anything with them.

Long story short, I managed to salvage both gimbals from the ff9 and, whilst not identical, they fit. I also stripped out all the switches as one of the levers on the 10cg had broken. Fitting was quite easy, chopped off the connecting wires one by one, soldered the functional gimbals in and put heat shrink around and it's been working for about 7 hours now.

Should be a pic hereabout, the cg10 isn't 100% the carrying handle got knocked off at the accident site and I'll have to decide if a new rear case is warranted for what is, effectively, plan c as I have a 6EX to back up the 14sg and this would be the fall back for the 6EX.

All together an interesting little challenge.

ff9 and10cg.JPG

10 cg.JPG

Advert

On 20/04/2021 at 16:45, Rich Griff said:

I just can't believ he left in outside the car, many times !!

How does he manage to drive ?

Agreed - I would love to know the thought process that went on by incident number 4 when arriving back at the car... ??

Edited by MattyB

Umpty ten years ago a friend of mine arrived at my then club field, said he had stopped in traffic on the way and a chap in the car next to him said there was summat on't roof. It was his Futaba Tx. All I can say he he must be a much more gentle and smooth driver than me.

Fortunately I have never left my Tx on the outside of the car except when I have left it at home!