A lovely day and yet the field all to myself!

57 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Model flying is a lot safer than being a farmer working [ often alone ]with large animals, heavy machinery for long hours. Statistically the most dangerous job in the UK.

I hear that. After losing someone I know to slurry fumes and having done the same work myself, I can attest to the number of "close calls" and fatigue. I was a forester for a while back in the days before harvesters were common. Dawn to dusk heavy slog felling, cross cutting and stacking, often alone in the middle of a forest. No mobile phones back then, just a temperamental 2 way radio in my pickup. I'm amazed at what we got away with to be honest. 

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 19:20, EarlyBird said:

I am learning to use the rudder and opposite aileron for flat turns, not easy as I have a nasty habit of moving both sticks in the same direction but with practice I seem to be improving.

Using rudder & ailerons in opposite directions is a good method to use if you don't have spoilers & want to steepen the glide angle. A flat turn is just what you don't want if the intention is to exploit a thermal.

However you'll get on better if you continue your "nasty habit" (?) of moving both sticks in the same direction in order to execute properly co-ordinated turns.

Edited by PatMc
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2021 at 16:39, Matt Carlton said:

I get that accidents happen, but if I play devils advocate for a moment, I would ask why the gentleman in your example did not have his model correctly restrained precisely to avoid that occurence. That accident could have been prevented with better pit discipline. 

I can just as easily remove one of my fingers in my workshop, or wielding a cleaver in my kitchen, but I don't insist on having someone with me. I accept the risks inherent in each situation and employ mitigation measures as I see fit. 

I do understand your point, but I think that it is better as an advisory rather than a stipulation. Given the times I fly, I would never be able to fly if I had to have company. 

I agree Matt 

As Cuban 8 said.

Many years ago I worked for British Gas and we had a contract with Body Shop to service  their heating system in their vast warehouse. Could be 60 feet up in the roof of the warehouse or in the basement of the office block and it was a requirement of theirs for any lone worker to have "fallen" link (can't remember what they called it) on them at all times in case of accidents. Only proiblem was that if you had to lay down to access a particular piece of equipment and stayed still too long it went off. Body Shop were years ahead of a lot of firms with their safety and working conditions.