A lovely day and yet the field all to myself!

the crack has always been if you are there with your model alone and you happen to catch your carol singers,poss severing one off...chance are you'll pass out with the shock and probably bleed to death in aprox 15 min.

at our field a while ago a lad caught his arm in his prop when the model came forward and got him........(40 size engine/2st)...we rallied around called for an ambulance and they came and took him to hospital...he had lost 1 ltr of blood they reckoned.....he was elderly and had he been on his own...i reckon he would have been done for.....rare but happens

ken anderson...ne...1..happens dept. 

Advert

I get that accidents happen, but if I play devils advocate for a moment, I would ask why the gentleman in your example did not have his model correctly restrained precisely to avoid that occurence. That accident could have been prevented with better pit discipline. 

I can just as easily remove one of my fingers in my workshop, or wielding a cleaver in my kitchen, but I don't insist on having someone with me. I accept the risks inherent in each situation and employ mitigation measures as I see fit. 

I do understand your point, but I think that it is better as an advisory rather than a stipulation. Given the times I fly, I would never be able to fly if I had to have company. 

34 minutes ago, Matt Carlton said:

I get that accidents happen, but if I play devils advocate for a moment, I would ask why the gentleman in your example did not have his model correctly restrained precisely to avoid that occurence. That accident could have been prevented with better pit discipline. 

the gentleman had his model on a stand/table affair that he brought with him,his TX was on the ground upright,the engine started and the TX fell forward on the ground causing the throttle to go to the full position...the stand/table tilted forward and his reaction was to try and stop it doing so.......with hindsight(a wonderful thing) he could have done some things different...but as we know ...thats how unintentional accidents happen...........

on a slightly different note we had problems telling the ambulance people exactly where our field was located and as such we(afterwards) made sure the co-ordinates were available to all members,just in case.....

ken anderson...ne...1...... co-ordinates dept.

34 minutes ago, Matt Carlton said:

17 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

on a slightly different note we had problems telling the ambulance people exactly where our field was located and as such we(afterwards) made sure the co-ordinates were available to all members,just in case.....

Use what3words!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

the gentleman had his model on a stand/table affair that he brought with him,his TX was on the ground upright,the engine started and the TX fell forward on the ground causing the throttle to go to the full position...the stand/table tilted forward and his reaction was to try and stop it doing so.......with hindsight(a wonderful thing) he could have done some things different...but as we know ...thats how unintentional accidents happen...........

Fair enough, and of course you are right, it is very easy to dissect an accident after the event. No criticism intended, other than to say that we (all of us) can be rather complacent about what can be rather dangerous devices. It behoves us to be a bit more thoughtful than we are. 

On your second point, I also use what 3 words and I have written down what those are, they are also in my contact info on my wife's phone to give to emergency services if needed. 

I do take your points and I do agree that it is probably preferable to not fly alone. That said, my only model flying accident was caused by another flyer! 

Ultimately, if person a feels safer not flying alone, that's great, but it shouldn't be something which is imposed on the whole club.

• Like 1

I would, if I could, make it mandatory to have 3 or 4 at the field on a flying day. I would take the choice from the individual, to no choice.

When a causality hits the high notes, one flyer panics, and  cannot face the wound or tend to it.

Another flyer can, but has to ring the emergency operator at the same time, as the phone operator wants an on going update on breathing and condition of the casualty as they send an ambulance.

At our field, 800ft away is a gate, with combination lock, that another flyer needs to open for the ambulance, and has occurred twice in a few years.

Luckily, more than four members were present.

One year, a lone flyer badly cut his fingers, and spent over one hour shouting for help at the gate, as he could not tumble the combination numbers.

I fly with more than 3, and don't go until they sign in On whatsapp

47 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

ken anderson...ne...1...... co-ordinates dept.

You are being far too kind to him. A potentially more serious incident was averted by people being there, but it only happened because he was lax with regards to what he was doing, so it's his own silly fault.  I'm sure it made everybody take a bit more care... but for how long until the laxity creeps back?

Back on topic: I'm planning to go down early again tomorrow, taking plenty of insect repellent, antihistamine and a parasol as well as my usual camping stove, water, fodder, chair and table. Maybe even a plane or two. 

Blimey! If everybody achieved the epitome of personal perfection in our daily lives advocated by some contributors, we could dispense with NHS A&E departments at a stroke! 

Given that nothing is proof against a sufficiently talented fool, we take a variety of steps to mitigate risks.  In my (and many) Club's case, one of them is a 'strong recommendation' that members do not fly alone.  And we leave it at that....

• Like 1

Yes it is Warbouys, a credit to our maintenance team.

I was simply making a comment and not trying to stir up the lone flyer debate again.

For my money too many people want to impose rules on others. Because of my work shifts I often fly alone and I accept the risks and act accordingly. 

Lets leave it there please chaps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike T said:

@Denis Watkins - is there any reason once your field is open for the day, that the gate can't be left unlocked?

Thanks Mike, you are absolutely right, and we can leave the gate open a few days per year,

But we pass through a field with livestock, having to leave the top gate locked, and the intermediate gate rope catched.

I fly power every flying day of the year and support the idea of fewer obstacles and rules.

But when something goes badly wrong, you need a good plan and mates. Just my take on the subject.

• Like 1

A lovely day and the field to myself. Four flights giving some two hours flying time, three with a phoenix 2000 and one with a MPX EasyStar as a comparison. I am learning to use the rudder and opposite aileron for flat turns, not easy as I have a nasty habit of moving both sticks in the same direction but with practice I seem to be improving. Of course being alone helps as there are no distractions and no noisy engines. Just me, Buzzards and Gulls enjoying ourselves flying effortlessly thermalling. Makes me happy.

I gave up when the temperature hit 26C as my hands started to sweat holding the transmitter. More fun tomorrow. ?

21 hours ago, Cliff Bastow said:

I went to my club today a arriving at 10.30 and was very surprised to find only one car already there and that member packed up shortly after. From then on I was alone with my thoughts until I left about 3 ish. I kept expecting someone to arrive on such a lovely day.

In some ways it was good to be alone  and I could practice some low flying without worry, but it would have been nice to have someone to chat too!

IMG_0066[1].JPG

IMG_0065[1].JPG

IMG_0064[1].JPG

IMG_0063[1].JPG

Apologies Cliff, I hadn't realised it was a hornet's nest waiting to be disturbed and have now ruined your thread.  ?

6 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

You can fly on your own at ours till someone else turns up, then you can't.

Lol!

I suspect most absences recently have been down to the heat.  I've flown the last four days and the earliest I got to the field was 5pm - and it was still too damned hot then.

I don't do 'early' so dawn patrols are out!

1 hour ago, Matt Carlton said:

Nothing quite like flying at sunset, except the sun goes down in front of me rather than behind at my strip. Sunglasses and occasional squinting are the order of the day when landing at times! 

Indeed - I used to love flying at sunset but haven't done so in many years. 

I got to the field this morning and there was two other flyers there, one of whom left because he'd lost a wing joining pin. I had a couple of great flights with my Durafly Tundra and MPX Heron.

I was thinking of landing the Heron but found a bit of lift at 50ft and within a few minutes I was specking out, superb.

At lunchtime Cliff turned up and myself and the other chap left leaving Cliff on his own again.

Nothing personal Cliff, honest??

Quite a few years ago I worked on a job at weekends that required me to work on my own. It did involve working with machinery and also required me to use a step ladder to access parts that required attention. I was provided with a panic alarm to wear on my belt that had the facility to send a message to say that the user had been totally immobile for a few minutes or was on the floor. It worked well and was a sensible precaution to protect me, and also my employer for looking out for my safety, I suppose.

This morning I'm on my own for several hours, will be cutting the grass, trimming plants, doing a few jobs in the workshop and risking life and limb my going up and down our stairs several times . I'll be using sharp implements to make a spot of lunch and hopefully won't encounter any choking hazards if I fancy a few peanuts with a cup of tea.

I suppose I could go flying.....seems a much safer bet.