GiantCod r/c supplies

richard cohen

Evening Folks,

I have found some spare time to review the contents of my September prize draw win - a rather handsome P40 Tomahawk  (definately a tomahawk as it will be in raf colours not some cranky yanky flying tigers scheme ! ) 

i will need to source some lightweight micro servo's and reciever and have come across a company called GiantCod  http://www.giantcod.co.uk.  The prices are properly cheap and the product reviews on the net for the DYS0204 micro servos and 35 mhz Corona RD620II Dual Conversion Receiver  are good. Has anyone used this kit and more importantly used Giant Cod. your thoughts appreciated before i part with some hard earned  folding......

richard

I use GC for motors, ESC's and LiPo's regularly and are extremely good value, but supplies have been a bit patchy of late, a hang over from the Olympics causing delays, so we're told.

I can't comment on the Corona Rx other than that they seem to be popular. As for servos, when I added up the cost of the utter rubbish that ended up in the bin, to the cost of the good ones , they worked out more than good branded servos.

A point you must be aware of with GC is their VERY limited guarantee. When you receive any goods it is YOUR responsibility to test them and return any defective items immediately. After seven days from delivery or if the goods have been used any warranty is void! Full Conditions.

Their Loong Max range of cells are the best I've had.

As Rob says their delivery / stock can be a bit patchy, but you could always pay real prices somewhere else if speed is important.

To qualify that statement I've made 8 orders with them and only had trouble with 1, which they refunded (postage as well - and a personal phone call to appologies and sort it out) brilliant really.

Andy

i ordered 3 5g DYS servos from here and they're absolute rubbish. Two of them would reach their end points at full stick throw and then just stop, effectively disabling the control surface in flight. I could close my eyes and distinguish which servo was moving by their different sounding gear trains. I don't know about any of their other products but i wouldn't buy from them again.

Dangerous is not a big enough word.

I think it's fair to say you get what you pay for. How much were they £3 or so.

I've an e Blaster from hyperflight, and paid £25 each for saturn mico servos from Stan at phoenix as I knew I wanted quality.

I use £3 servos (and yes usually from GC) in foamies and the like.

In answer to the original post I've a Corona RD820II synthesised RX and it sits in the E blaster right next to the ESC and it's brilliant. (I did test it before comitting it to this model)

Andy

The only thing I have bought from Giant Cod was an £8 brushless motor. The holes in the stationary end were not tapped out so that the motor could not be mounted.

When I spoke to the vendor he told me that they were all like that! To save returning the motor under their complicated guarantee system I tapped the holes out myself.

thanks for the info guys, there seems to be mixed feelings over the quality of the cheap servo's so i might have to think about going for a different brand. my main concern is that this 'leccy lark is new to me and i want to make decent choices at sensible costs to get half decent performance. Will look at the suggested tower pro servo's. any other suggestions welcome.

ps. how long are the delays from GC ?  are we talking days or weeks ?

rich

Well pretty much any "standard micro" servo should serve well - these cheapies here are Ok at around £4 a pop or even chaeaper if you buy 4.

HiTec are almost always good servos, and if you wanted a bit more quality, but still at a reasonable price then the micro HS65 are very good - also available in the karbonite geared version.

This price for a good DIGITAL servo is unbelievable - slightly lower torque than the BRCs but still well within spec for your application. £4.50 !! ( watch the stock levels though...best to ring Rob first )

I have bought quite a lot from GC. Their motors are second to non. I have had no trouble to date with there speed controllers. I have a Corona receiver, 35 single,  seems fine. I use DYS servos amongst many, they seem much the same as any cheap servo.

I guess one draw back is that there range continulaly changes. So my speed controllers are all ofdiffent make.

I have also noted that their motors along with most from similar retailers are not sized conservativly, if it says 200w, that will be its maximum. But they have been as good if not better than more expensive motors bought in the past.

I will continue to use them.

Erfolg

I can't fault the gear I have had off of GC, and I whole heartedly recommend them.

So far I have only had lipos from them but I am working towards a couple of motors, couple of ESC's and maybe some servos for a bigger project build over the winter.

However a collegue has a Corona SC reciever which makes the servos very noisey and suffers glitching. Changing the reciever with a Hitec one I had completely resolved this issue.

Read his suggestions regarding power draw and specifications of components and aim to be no more than 75% for safety, so for a 20A applications use 30A components. Use the gear within its limits and all will be well.

tough to get them on the phone but they do reply to e-mails ok and there products have always been fine. with fast delivery. ok some stock issues with. but like they say if you want it there and then or a top of the range iteam. buy it else were.

I for one will definetly use them again and again. as Ive never had any probelms with there products or them.