Cleaning up old engine

EGB 953

Advert

41 minutes ago, Jonathan M said:

No after-run oil at all?  So should I not trouble to squirt a tad into the carb and flick the prop a few times after an afternoon's session - not knowing whether I'll be running the engine the next day or a year's hence?

I keep my models in dry heated garage, would it make a difference if they were stored in a damp shed?

i never use after run in 4 strokes. Unless you completely drain out all the old stuff and flood it with new oil you arent doing much. Running the engines at peak tune (not rich!!) and running the engine out of fuel at the end of the day will sort out 90% of the problem. Being stored as they are in a dry place they will do well. 

Choose a decent fuel too. No castor! 

Incidentally, my saito 45 powered nieuport has lived in a cold damp garage nose up, and a warm house nose down. There has been no correlation between storage environment and bearing life. They rust up in about the same amount of time no matter where it is stored. Its no bother, i have the bearings in stock and a rebuild is less than an hours job

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 18:21, EGB 953 said:

My weekend project.  Will do the photos. 

So spent last Saturday cleaning the engine with meths. No rust on the inside but gooey oil and some dirt. Have it a good scrub. Was so enjoying myself I forgot to take pics. Anyway next day went to the club to run her up and she started first time. Ran for a minute or so quite rich then got a another very experienced member to help me tune it up. Then had three flying sessions, not a single missed beat. I confess I was so pleased with it. Thank you everyone for the advice. 

• Like 1