Universal Receiver ACCST firmware

Mike Blandford

Reading through the Aloft postings they say that S8R (stabilising) receivers are not UNI' supported yet T9Hobbysport list them on their website:-

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-s8r-receiver

I have an S8R which i would like to flash the 'UNI' firmware on, is this possible. ?

Am I right in thinking that any receivers can be re-flashed with Frsky firmware if a UNI' installation isn't successful ?

Also Aloft mentioned about a video showing installing the firmware which would be helpful as I don't understand "lua" or the activation process.

The video doesn't appear to be available yet.
I've downloaded the Universal firmware and just need to understand the activation process.

Cheers

John

Edited by John Wagg
  • Like 1

John, the only RXs currently supported for this process are those listed in the Aloft forum post detailed in Mike's post on the previous page, no doubt others will soon be available! 

As long as you have one of those RXs then all you have to do is flash your RX with the correct firmware (.frk) in the zip file (in the Aloft post) then copy the Activate.lua file onto your TX, I've put mine in the SCRIPTS>TOOLS folder:

image.thumb.png.69011e89a253f9826c036a9afd089e01.png

Then just follow the instructions detailed in the Aloft post (bind RX and with it still bound on the TX navigate to the SYSTEM>SCRIPTS>TOOLS folder, click on Activate.lua and select Execute), this will generate a unique code for that RX which you then email to T9 and they will issue you with a licence code to activate the RX. You don't need to keep the TX on whilst you wait to receive the code as the RX code generated by the Activate.lua script will be the same just run the Activate.lua script again when you get the activation code back from T9.

You don't need to know what a lua script is, just think of it as a bit of code in a file that you run when you click on 'Execute'. 

• Like 1

The stabilised receivers need all the stabilising functions implemented, which is quite a lot to do to work out what is needed.

I may be able to do this at some point, but I'm currently looking at the RX4R, RX6R, and then the G-RX6 and G-RX8. The RX4R/RX6R are in beta test. The same firmware runs on the G-RX6 and G-RX8, but doesn't, yet, handle the built in vario.

Mike

Thankyou Ron and Mike for your replies.

I don't understand why T9Hobbysport are listing S8R Universal receivers unless they are able to flash the firmware on them ?

Currently I have 6 off  D8R-11 receivers flashed with Mikes Universal and all work as expected. 

My S8R is flashed with FRsky V2 Eu/LBT so in theory it should be stable and sorted concerning the wayward servo movement.

But I would still prefer Mikes firmware if available in the future.

Thankyou Ron for the explanation and will give it a go on an X8R. What I don't understand is why the LUA script is put in the TOOLS folder. Am I right in thinking that the LUA script is for use on the Tx only and not for the receiver. ?

Cheers

John

6 minutes ago, John Wagg said:

What I don't understand is why the LUA script is put in the TOOLS folder. Am I right in thinking that the LUA script is for use on the Tx only and not for the receiver. ?

The LUA script can go anywhere in your TX folders, I just happen to prefer it in the TOOLS sub folder, and yes, you are correct the LUA script runs on the TX and gets the information from the RX, you then use the same script to apply the activation code to that RX.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

I think that T9 have been using "Universal" in the description to mean non-EU firmware for some time, including before the "UNI" firmware became available.

Mike

Looked again at T9's website and it appears as you say that "Universal" probably equals FCC firmware.

Rx's with your "UNIVERSAL ACCST" firmware are just using the "UNI" designation.

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-xr-uni-accst-firmware-receivers

They are charging £2.50 for the self flashing activation key. I presume each Rx has an individual activation key.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, Mike Blandford said:

£2.50 per Rx for an activation code!

What??? I’ll try sending codes to Aloft then!

This was their reply to the question would they charge:

No payment needed. We only charged if we were getting the receiver mailed to us to cover shop time expenses. Self install is FREE!!

Edited by Ron Gray

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A small bug has been picked up where the setting to enable mapping of SBUS output channels is not retained through a receiver power cycle.

A fix for this has now been posted here: UNI release files. The files are in uni_57u.zip. These are "Update" files so only work on receivers that are already activated, they do not include the activation feature.

The XSR is now fully working with UNI.

Uni for the RX4R and RX6R are also now released. There is a single firmware file that runs on both. This also runs on the G-RX6 and G-RX8 and includes support for the built in vario. The vertical speed value currently has incorrect scaling but otherwise is working. The altitude value is also functional, although these receivers have some drift in the reported value (also noticed with FrSky firmware). I'm looking into whether it is possible to reduce this drift.

All release files, including scripts, are being posted in the same place.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of quick questions please, I've just bought an RX8R Pro from T9HS with this new UNI firmware. It's for a gasser, and I want 9 easily accessed channels. So I bound it with Ch 3 and 4 signal pins jumped. And whilst the main channels are working fine, I can't get anything on the SBUS out. (An analogue servo just jitters, a digital servo does nothing).

Do I still need to engage with a Lua script to achieve an activation and then Ch 9 on the SBUS with this ready-loaded Rx?

Is Ch 9 the SBUS default when buying and binding like this? Am I probably just needing the fix in the previous post?

And finally, what's the best way please to check I actually got sent a UNI and not a universal Rx? There was nothing on the outer packaging, only the standard FrSky instructions, and one of the first things I heard after binding was a telem lost warning. I can't actually repeat the latter, although it does occasionally swamp proper servo movements when too close.  I am also seeing only a green Rx light on normal power on (and not the green and red mentioned in the UNI instructions).  

Horus X10S, EU Ver 2.1 bound in D16 Ch 1 to 8 mode. 

Many thanks!

Edited by Neil R

You say "Horus X10S, EU Ver 2.1 bound in D16 Ch 1 to 8 mode", I think this means you are not sending anything for channel 9!

If you discover sensors you should find a VFR value (Valid Frame Rate).

Go to the UNI Release Files linked above and download XxRsetv2.zip and XxRstatv5e.zip. Extract XxRsetv2.lua and XxRstatv5e.lua and put these on the Tx. When you run the XxRstat script, the Rx, if it has UNI firmware on it, should fill in all the values. Go to page 2/3 and you should see the firmware version number and the mode in which it is bound.

If you then run the XxRset script you should be able to see and change, the various settings.

Mike

Many thanks Mike for the amazingly quick reply, and for all your work in general on this stuff.

My Rstat results - RX8R Pro, Ver 50, V2EU - all presumably good except perhaps not v57? 

Rset - 'Servo on SBUS' showed 'on', and 'servo outputs' as '1 to 8', which again is what I'd expected. Anyhow, I'm not sure what it did, but using screen 1's RESET option has fixed my problem!

PS by bind in Ch 1 to 8 mode, I meant as per the 4 choices you get after hitting the bind button (so either 1-8 telem on/off, or 9-16 telem on/off). I did have the actual channel range set to 16.  

Now if only you could make the 'SBUS in' provide a Ch 10, I could also get my retracts to work in a staggered manner! 😂 (I'd use the sbus decoders more, but still have too many analogue servos). 

Thanks again.

You may, of course, download and flash V57. Your Rx is "activated", so it will remain activated when any updates are flashed.

SBUS in has input hardware that prevents it being used as an output.

UNI for the G-RX6 and G-RX8 should be available very shortly. During testing of this, it has been discovered that external SPort sensors, combined with the internal sensors data, can exceed the rate that telemetry can be sent by the Rx. This is particularly true if you use an openXsensor as the firmware in that has a couple of bugs causing it to send data more frequently than it should. UNI therefore will have a method of limiting the polling on the SPort to avoid this when too much data is being received on the SPort. This will be incorporated into UNI for all receivers.

Mike

Mike, I have now flashed V57, because the SBUS stopped working as a servo output after cycling rx power. The flashing was confirmed by now seeing V57 on the Rstat lua. Unfortunately I still lose this functionality on power cycling - it only comes back if I use the RESET function (and set the 'Servo on SBUS' back to 'on').

In case it was a factor I went straight from V50 to V57.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fixed an obscure bug on the RX8R-PRO (caused by undocumented timer functionality in the specific processor used ). The symptom was one of the servo pulses output on servo output 6, 7, 8, or the SBUS pin (if a servo output), very occasionally was too long by 940uS.
V59 for the RX8R-PRO, with this fixed, is now posted.

Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...