ARTF Panic - gyro?

Hi 
Im in the process of putting together a new ARTF Panic. I’ve had just about every version of the Panic - early kit, ARTFs by the container full about ten years ago (90 engines plus a inclination to low level prop hanging and high alpha flight meant I got through a few when my intentions and ambitions wrote cheques my ability couldn’t cash!!) and I’ve just bought the latest version. This time I’m going electric (6S of course!) and have a gyro lying round. It came with my FMS Hawk, and was never fitted. So, the question, is it worth using? It’s switchable, so I’m thinking it could help when set to stabilise. My flying mate has bought an identical one so I’m thinking about ‘forgetting’ to mention I’ve got assistance in the prophanging competitions! 

Advert

My gast is flabbered. I don’t know whether I want to laugh or cry at your ambition, or crimes. 
I've broken a few of these. The undercarriage alway seems to be good to go on the next one. 
Are gyros that good? Odd times I’ve flown an aeroplane with a gyro, all I get a sick feeling because my inputs don’t result in an output. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Don Fry said:

My gast is flabbered. I don’t know whether I want to laugh or cry at your ambition, or crimes. 
I've broken a few of these. The undercarriage alway seems to be good to go on the next one. 
Are gyros that good? Odd times I’ve flown an aeroplane with a gyro, all I get a sick feeling because my inputs don’t result in an output. 

I've taught many new members to fly who turn up with fancy gyros and stabilisers: mostly with talking singing trannies. 'And the first thing we will do is to turn that lot off'. Like trying to fly a giant marshmallow with disconnected rubber arms.

• Like 1

My views about gyros are not really printable in polite society, plus they might be construed as being  insulting to the pilots who use them. 

So I won't expand too much. 

It's like having an interfering, meddlesome Nanny onboard who questions every input and keeps repeating, "Nanny knows best...."

Well, Nanny does NOT know best. 

Use them if you like them........ but they have no place in my world. 

10 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

The lads at my place use the stabilisation on such craft as the hawk

So as they can hand launch themselves, even when flying alone

And switch off the stab after successful launch 

The FMS Hawk?  I'm quite happy hand launching but I wouldn't do it with that!

If you mean the little Arrows Hawk, the biggest mistake made hand launching this is to use too little throttle. Open the taps, launch slightly upwards.... away it goes.  This plane doesn't need a gyro.

Like many others, I am not a fan of all the stability aids - I appreciate that in some instances they can be be beneficial, but not in all cases. 

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

AS3X on UMX - yes please.

Gyro on heli tail - yes please.

Haven't needed or wanted it on anything else. If it comes fitted, I remove or de-activate.

Re the OP, I'd say the Panic does not need it. 

It certainly doesn’t need it! I’m just playing around! 
I’m not needing it for flying the plane - or any other I own - to be honest. I’m pretty sure I can pilot a Panic around the sky unaided. 

• Like 2