fee-free bank accounts for clubs?

andyh

the bank that my club uses, which was previously free, has recently started charging us £5/month for the privilege, which may not sound much for most organisations, but for us it's a couple of members' subs per year going on bank charges. 😞

banks seem to have rather cut back on fee-free accounts for clubs/non-profits over the last few years - does anyone have any suggestions of who still does them?

ideally one where everything can be done online - including paying in  luddite members' cheques. 😉

many thanks

Try a lloyds Treasurers account. It comes under business accounts but is internet based and no charges. I had to set one up for my tenpin bowling league. Not too much hassle setting it up and it helps if your treasurer has a personal account with Lloyds for ID purposes. Only hiccup I had was when I wanted to draw out money for prizegiving they were supposed to have sent  cheque book but hadn't, now sorted. Our club is with HSBC and they have started charging for anything not internet based.

Most banks are charging even charities with a turnover of less than £100,000

John

Edited by John Tee
  • Like 1

We switched to a free NatWest Community Bank account earlier this year from HSBC to avoid the £5pm charges that were about to be imposed.

It all went through without too much bother but be prepared for plenty of form filling & due diligence on all the parties involved.

However note:

"At least one of the parties named in the application must be an existing NatWest customer - if there is no existing NatWest relationship your application will be declined."

• Like 1

many thanks gents, much appreciated. 👍

I was thrown slightly by Johns Tee & Lee replying with different answers.  😄

I have a personal account with Lloyds so I shall investigate them first - when I took over as Treasurer with the current bank (HSBC) we had months of grief getting me authorised on the account.  😠

We have the same problem with HSBC. I had the Treasurer look at Nat West as I have account with them. Apparently the charges were off putting. 

Its just a pain. Really think there is a need for a community bank. Credit Unions would not be a viable option. 

• Like 1