frsky RX recommendation.

David A Sutton

Advert

Definitely not that one, that is very old and uses the old D8 protocol which was never EU LBT compliant, your X lite assuming it's recent i.e. post EU LBT will only work with D16 and Access protocol receivers. Assuming yout TX is D16 and Acess cpmpatible something like this would be a better proposition, or if for some reason you want to use ACCST then have a look at this one.

If you go down the ACCST route you need to make sure both receivers are on either ACCST D16 V or V2 though.

I've been using FrSky equipment for a few years now, and I agree that if you're starting from scratch, or coming from a 'simple' radio system, programming your FrSky transmitter and receiver(s) can be a bit of a learning curve.  But well worth it in the end, due to the almost endless programming options.  People here will certainly help you.

I think Philip Lewis 3 in the post above means that you must make sure that both your transmitter and your receiver(s) are both using Version 1 firmware or both using Version 2 firmware if you're using the ACCST protocol.  Almost 2 years ago it was discovered that V.1 firmware could in very rare instances make unintended servo movements.  This was corrected in V.2 firmware, but some equipment may still come loaded with V.1 firmware.

My radio uses ACCST protocol, and I have yet to be persuaded of any advantage to be gained by moving on to ACCESS protocol.  But if your transmitter is ACCESS then you might as well stick with it.

19 hours ago, David A Sutton said:

I have a Taranis X9 lite s.. what is a good rx for this radio? I'm looking at this one...FrSky V8FR-II 8 Channel 2.4Ghz Receiver. 

as i'm new to this tx, I don't want to be throwing money away. it's a beast to get to grips with. what ever happened to simple.??? 

If you are new to Frsky, this is a brand new TX and you have no older equipment, forget anything other than the ACCESS receivers - Allan is right that the advantages are minimal compared to ACCST, but at least you don't have the v1 vs v2 firmware stuff to worry about, and most of the RXs are updateable over the air from the TX so you will never have to go through the "fun" of flashing them by a wire. Also even if you are not currently interested in telemetry there is no point in buying a non-telemetry RX from Frsky at this point, 1) because they don't make any that are up to date and 2) because the telemetry RXs are no more expensive than non-telemetry RXs from the likes of Futaba and Spektrum.

22 hours ago, David A Sutton said:

Ok guy's. Update to my post. I have checked my TX for the following. Label on the back is EU-LBT. Mode has ACCESS/ACCST D16

Bootloader -2.3.12

Age I think could be a problem. Not going to say how old other than. John Noaks of blue peter fame got me interested in the RC hobby. 

In that case as per my suggestion above, I would stick with ACCESS only - there is no gain in you choosing ACCST receivers, other than (perhaps) a slight price differential.

Nothing has changed for you, Open or Edge TX is the programmind and opperating system in the transmitter, it has nothing to do with the RF protocol used.

You can't use Access receivers with a Radiomater TX, that is FrSky hardware only. Access is the newer of the two protocols, in my experience Access offers greater range (I don't get the low RSSI warnings that I used to get with ACCST in the same plane), other advantages, receiver registartion means you can bind on poer up, no buttons to press or a bind plug, over the air updates of receivers and Access allows telemetry from more than one receiver simultaneously.

Phil