Building a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk - Balsa or Spruce for main spars

As the title says, started to build a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk from an old partially damaged kit. Some of the wood in the kit had the ends soaked in oil at some point and hence was able to buy it at a very good price.

The main spars (3/8 sq) supplied in the kit are Bass wood. And have the ends oil soaked. Since I do not have any spare Bass wood stock, I can substitute the damaged spars with either Balsa or Spruce stock from my spares.

The wing design is typical D Box structure, sheeted from LE up to main spar and cap strips on the ribs, shear webs from inboard to tips towards the front of the main spar.

If I use Balsa spars, can I use shear webs back and front and expect the strength to be similar to bass with shear web only on front?

What if I proceed as above, but lay carbon tow over the spars (under the top and bottom sheeting)?

The other option is to just substitute the damaged spar with Spruce spar and follow the original design. However that will almost double the weight of the spars.

Thoughts welcome please

The     

Edited by Manish Chandrayan

Advert

Spruce would be fine and will likely be intact in a crash and so make the wing repairable.    Weight will be OK - try to save some weight at the tail end if you want to compensate.

Be aware that the oil soaked wood might have contaminated other parts just enough to make glue joints not as good as normal.   Don't take chances on critical joints.