4 servo wing multi plug wiring problem

Hi All, I'm wiring 4 wing servos to a central multi plug. Here's the question...

The plug to the receiver will have 4 servo connections to the receiver . 2 will have 3 wires for positive ground and signal. The other 2 only need signal as those servos get their positive and ground by parallel connection to the other servos in the wing. Will this work?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Hi All, I'm wiring 4 wing servos to a central multi plug. Here's the question...

The plug to the receiver will have 4 servo connections to the receiver . 2 will have 3 wires for positive ground and signal. The other 2 only need signal as those servos get their positive and ground by parallel connection to the other servos in the wing. Will this work?

What plug type are you using to combine the 4 inputs Phil?  I use Ashlock connectors now which makes things very easy. I did try a Mni D type once on my 1/4 scale Tiger and regretted it.

Yes, it will work. It's how the factory looms were supplied from Tragi.

The lone signal wires are for the flaps, single yellow wire from the receiver to the fuselage half of the connector (D Sub usually) then a single signal wire from the wing half of the connector to each flap servo.

The flap servo positive and negative power wires are spliced into the aileron power wires, saving two cables from the receiver to the flap servos.

Attached Tragi's socket wiring method.

Connector Sub D9 wiring.doc

I used the multiplex style 6 pin connectors recently for a similar job. They have very positive connection and are tailor made for the job.

https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/electrics-electronics/connectors-wire/mpx-connectors-accessories.html

To provide the necessary servo plugs, a few extension leads can be snipped in half. 

I found it easy enough to use a hot glue gun to pot the result and provide strain relief. I used the cheapskate dodge - wrap masking tape around the plug and wire to form a basic mould. Or there are fancy commercial offerings out there to make a fancy commercial looking job of it:

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/winkler-multiplex-plug-mould-tool-mould-for-mpx-plug-connectors

I would probably use the 8 pin connector for four servos, and use two pins for 5V and two for ground.

D sub connectors are ok as well, but a bit bulkier and heavier. Strain relief is easier with the MPX connector, I think.

Edited by Nigel R