Would this make a decent PSS model?

MikeQ

Hi

I've always liked the A37 Dragonfly.  

Would it be viable as say a 50-60" PSS model, especially given it would have to have a fair bit of ordance hanging off it to look the part?

Wing area isn't huge relative to size.  Have built plenty models but never really designed one 😀

Cheers

Mike

A372.png

A37.png

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

I've also got a plan from a guy in the states that built one around 80 inches, complete with all the DXF's to get a laser cut kit done.  Let me know if you go for it Mike, it's one I'd like to build too, probably at Chris' scale as its a bit more portable. Plus he has the canopy plug!

Hi Mike,The a37 Dragonfly that I’ve built is 54 inch span and weighs in at 4lb12 0unce with an sd205 wing section and 11/2 degrees washout.I’ve had to modify the original plan substantially to change it from a one piece model to a two piece transportable fuselage and wing.The colour scheme is actually taken from the photo that you have. I’ve made a mould for the canopy and blown it on my own homemade vac former.It runs on 4 mini servos,2 for ailerons,1 rudder and 1 elevator.hope this is of some help.Chris FAEC1B10-B4D6-45ED-A12F-15DB9EE5243D.thumb.jpeg.39aae63e58e689cf07953139087ca6c0.jpeg33CAABC0-7EA0-4FB1-9A42-C493791A7C6A.thumb.jpeg.dbac6800cbaf3f77631fb6e633d75d0c.jpeg70845016-BA99-4AC8-94C9-6DB10CA032CD.thumb.jpeg.8425b386e2eadd97a9ab09f4bd9715d4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi Chris

looks absolutely cracking.  I had no idea there were other A37 fans out there 😀.  

That canopy and cockpit sure look a challenge.  What kind of finish is on the model.  

cheers

mike

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 08:53, Andy Meade said:

I've also got a plan from a guy in the states that built one around 80 inches, complete with all the DXF's to get a laser cut kit done.  Let me know if you go for it Mike, it's one I'd like to build too, probably at Chris' scale as its a bit more portable. Plus he has the canopy plug!

One for a mass build in 2024 ??? 😀

I’ve just bought the short kit for the Mass build Sabre too!

Mike

Hi guys,Just about to look into how to create a pdf file for the 54in unmodified plan a37 if this may be of any use to anyone wanting a plan.i'm afraid i'm a total numpty when it comes to technology!Also I could make available the plans available for the 36in one piece version if there's any intrest.Just posted 2 copies of the 54in plan,1 to Portugal and 1 to Italy.I am also going to look into the possibility and cost of having canopies blown to see if it's viable.I would love to redraw the plan with my modifications on but do not have a draftsmans board for doing it.Paul got rid of his board.If there are any draftpersons out there that might be able to help, please give me a shout!Cheers Chris

Take it to Prontaprint.  They might be able to do it depending on size.

They’ve scanned 3-views in for me and converted to pdf which I’ve then been able to import into AutoCad etc to make drawings which can be used to generate cutting files.

Whilst on he topic, its worth knowing that many towns have something like a Fablab or MakerSpace, usually attached to the local university.  You can pay typically £20 an hour for access to all sorts of machines.  Ive cut a number of models at my local one.  With a bit of practice you can push a lot of balsa sheet through an industrial sized laser cutter in an hour.  Theres plenty of cheap or freeware alternatives to software like AutoCad.  You only need about 5% of the functionality.

As an example ...

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24884.0 ... reply#7

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15 ... page 2

... both give you the idea.

Cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ

Hi ... me 😀

Happy to go halfies on prontaprint costs.

When theyve done it for me its been scans of A4 or A3 sized drawings.

A full sized plan might be different depending on their kit.

theres a place in Team Valley Industrial Estate at the South side near the Motor way that does prints and copies too.

cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ

Hello Chris

Good to meet in person at the weekend.  Was very impressed with your models ... all of them 😀.

I know you can probably use search but as promised, here are a couple of links referring to PeelPly.

Peel Ply probably doesn’t help experts get any better results but its a big help to those of us who struggle with glassing.  It turns an poor glasser into an average glasser and an avergae glasser into a good glasser 😂

It can easily’ go around curves and ‘can’ be encouraged to follow mild compound curves, especially if you cut darts out.  For the size of the project you were talking about, i would think it would be ideal.  You could deal with any big compound curves as per normal glassing.  I used it to fully glass a 60” span TopFlite Corsair fuselage and that is full of curves.  

First time you do it you’ll be surprised how straightforward it is.  No doubt others can chip in with more advice.

Cheers

Mike

PS I didn’t half cop for it off the missus when she got me home.  She wasnt impressed with my ‘little’ takeaway 🤣.  Or more precisely, where Im going to keep it.  The kids have left home haven’t they!

883947.jpg

Edited by MikeQ