Some good model flying publicity from the BBC

PatMc

I think that a big problem re attracting younger members in their teens or under, is that flying and aviation has ceased to be the miracle that it was in decades past - so the desire to be part of all that by getting involved with model flying just isn't there with most youngsters now. The immediacy and authenticy of games and virtual reality that with flight sims and 'shoot 'em up' war games on offer, all from the comfort of your sofa, is hard to compete with. I've had a go on a VR flying game and it is astonishingly good - although it did give me vertigo after a while.

Unfortunately, those that do show an interest in standing over a typical model club's field with usually minimal facilities (notable exceptions of course) are then hamstrung by not being welcomed on their own without an adult chaperone and will have to rely on a parent (usually not very interested in my experience) to run them back and forth to a local club, even just to spectate.

I take my hat off to those who do work hard to attract kids into the hobby.

• Like 1

Advert

14 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

I think that a big problem re attracting younger members in their teens or under, is that flying and aviation has ceased to be the miracle that it was in decades past - so the desire to be part of all that by getting involved with model flying just isn't there with most youngsters now. The immediacy and authenticy of games and virtual reality that with flight sims and 'shoot 'em up' war games on offer, all from the comfort of your sofa, is hard to compete with. I've had a go on a VR flying game and it is astonishingly good - although it did give me vertigo after a while.

Unfortunately, those that do show an interest in standing over a typical model club's field with usually minimal facilities (notable exceptions of course) are then hamstrung by not being welcomed on their own without an adult chaperone and will have to rely on a parent (usually not very interested in my experience) to run them back and forth to a local club, even just to spectate.

I take my hat off to those who do work hard to attract kids into the hobby.

Good post, when we do get the pleasure of some younger company, park your generalisations of todays youth, they ain't a deal different to us, just younger.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2022 at 07:59, SIMON CRAGG said:

Any airtime is good IMHO. Vernon Kay was suitably enthusiastic, and came over very well.

I think we all have to face the fact that the days of the "Fetchamite" are long gone.

Over the years, we have tried on many occasions to recruit more of the younger generation, and pretty much failed miserably.

We all know the reasons, but we "olds" never tire of our great hobby, and we have a steady stream

of OAP's joining!.

Completely agree. I'm the parent of a teenager and an 8 year old, and I'm a a Cub Scout leader too I can tell you with 100% confidence that we will never get youngsters under 20 taking part at volumes in this hobby again - the new beginner is 40-65, with the disposable income (well, maybe until recently 😞), transport and and time to participate. We should focus on them moving forward, as model flying will never compete with the hyper-realistic gaming, social media platforms and (a little way off) the metaverse. Besides, at least a few in the 40-65 demographic might have actually been listening to the R2 item that kicked off this thread - there won't have been a single teen doing that I can tell you!

• Like 2

I do rather agree with MattyB.

To a young teenager the 45+ demographic are mums and dads! Almost by "teenager" definition the majority will want to do the opposite rather than participate with them.

Only in cases where their very youth is an advantage (speed of reaction or physical fitness) might they wish to learn to demonstrate their prowess in front of adults. I suspect this may be why the average age of those involved in racing drones is so low.

I built my first Kiel Kraft rubber powered plane at 10 but come to think of it there was nobody else in the school built planes over the years I was there. Mine was the only flying plane at the school's annual hobby exhibition.

The lack of young aero modellers was really no different even 65 years ago.