Some good model flying publicity from the BBC

PatMc

Advert

Excellent piece and well presented. There has also been a few positive messages read out since the main piece plus a very good "phone in" piece. 👍

One great bit was the presenter having a go at flying a mini helicopter in the studio - she nearly gave up "the presenting" in her enthusiasm to get it flying 😀

Dick

"Limited audience"??!

This is the Vine show on R2 - huge audience, Ida thought!

Excellent video on the news channel and nothing but positives in the radio segment - none of the expected sarky interjections from the presenter - Tina D was brilliant!

All this (and seeing our Area Delegate and my Club pictured in the vid) have made my day!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's so nice to see some positive news and the thing that came across so well from Vernon Kay to all the other contributors via phone or email was the passion we all have for our great hobby.

I was glad the guy from the BMFA mentioned being out in nature too. I love our flying field becuse there are always buzzards, kestrels and more recently red kites. Occasionally we'll see the deer run across the field and I've spotted bats and hares and all sorts of creatures you'd never expect.

Our hobby has so much going for it and I know clubs are struggling to pull the youngsters away from their phones, but there's so much fun and so many good things to take away.

Fantastic that Radio 2 did this article and even better that they did it when, that insufferable Jeremy Vine, was on holiday!

Let's hope a few younger people will be inspred to join us.

I think our club has an average age of 247 years old, but maths was never my strong point.

KB

Edited by Keith Billinge
  • Like 3

You'll be sending them up chimmnies and down mines next...

But yes, inspire the young and capture Thier interest.

Perhaps lobby for gcse's etc. In aeromodeller, woodworking skills, aerodynamics, IC engines, electrics, electronics, radio theory etc. etc. etc. and then see all that stuff in action in the real world outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

That very last bit, sunshine, may prove difficult....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

You'll be sending them up chimmnies and down mines next...

But yes, inspire the young and capture Thier interest.

Perhaps lobby for gcse's etc. In aeromodeller, woodworking skills, aerodynamics, IC engines, electrics, electronics, radio theory etc. etc. etc. and then see all that stuff in action in the real world outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

That very last bit, sunshine, may prove difficult....

In reality the sunshine bit would be the easiest. Changing the nature of GCSEs or the views of the Department for Education would be next to nigh on impossible.

Any airtime is good IMHO. Vernon Kay was suitably enthusiastic, and came over very well.

I think we all have to face the fact that the days of the "Fetchamite" are long gone.

Over the years, we have tried on many occasions to recruit more of the younger generation, and pretty much failed miserably.

We all know the reasons, but we "olds" never tire of our great hobby, and we have a steady stream

of OAP's joining!.