Smart Bulbs

Trevor

We have a 3-lamp ceiling fitting in our dining room, currently equipped with dimmable compact fluorescent 20w bulbs, one of which has just failed. Whilst these obsolescent bulbs are still available, I’m thinking of changing to LEDs. 

Rather than upgrade the wall mounted dimmer switch, I could remove it altogether and fit smart bulbs, dimmable via an app. Since the dining table is nowadays used more often for craft and hobbies than for eating, it would be good to have the ability to adjust the colour temperature of the lamps to suit - true daylight when my wife is colour matching her fabrics to a warmer white when used as a dining room.

Do any members have experience of this technology? If so, I’d be grateful for any advice, tips or recommendations. Thanks in anticipation,

Trevor

Advert

I look for the 'equivalent' incandescent rating.....most say equal to 60w (or whatever). Then I choose my colour. My partner is visually impaired so we tend to go for 6000°K which is close to daylight. As you go down towards 3000°K it is regarded as warm white. Don't forget they need to be marked as dimmable and you might need to change the dimmer as per Maetins previous post.

I am curious. Like Trevor the dining room table has plenty of use apart from eating off. Lighting is quite a fancy 3 bulb old lighting unit. It’s got LED bulbs, probably neutral white. 
I have just looked up, and for €20 I can get 3 bulbs, smart phone controlled, dimmable, change colour temperature, can also obey via Siri, Alexa. 
I think I might try a set. 
The only thing causing pause, do I need all this technology, the loss of my €20, and even worse, having taken the plunge becoming rated as a Boring Old Fart for showing off. 
Looking at “Ledvion Smart RGB+CCT E14”

Yes, I did wonder, but these are not colour changers, red thro blue, but white balance changers. 
They are 470 lumen output, so three will light the table.

I am still curious, 

There are a couple of odd rooms and corners in the house, where old technologies still linger, so will go there if not to standard.

I am still more worried at the BOF accolade. Imagine, table full of guests, middle of Cognac country, local fine wines, and there’s me, showing off with the lighting.

Another word of caution. It is controversial, but there is considerable information on the 'net regarding safety of LED lights. The French Agency for Food, Environment and Occupational Health and Safety consider that the 'blue light' from LED's can damage the retina over periods of time. Blue light is highest from the 6000K white light, the warm white is considered safer and generally recommended. Blue light is also claimed it can also affect mood and sleep patterns.

Of course there are divided opinions on this, so who do you trust?

LED is much more environmentally friendly and helps to meet CO2 targets, but could we be suffering from increased macular degeneration in 20-30 years time?

I don't know the answer and suggest you do your own research. Personally I opt for 'warm white' as claimed to be safest.

Thanks for the responses folks. After a bit more research into what I have to say is a quite confusing sector, I've ordered these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/wiz-connected-a60-tunable-white-smart-light-bulb-b22-10214368.html?searchTerm=WIZ CONNECTED A60 Tunable White Smart Light Bulb - B22

If anyone's interested, I'll report back after we've used them for a while.

Trevor